Moorhead City fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorhead City fishing

Guys, I will be coming up to Moorehead City in early October. My brother lives in Winston Salem and he's got a guy's trip there, that he's begging me to come to so I can take them offshore. I've never been there and he's no help. They've been there a couple times but never with anything more than a pontoon. Is there anyone here that has experience in that area. How to fish? Depth to look for? Bait? Rigging?

I'm very familiar with bottom fishing in Central Florida for grouper and snapper so any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Warren.
    '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

My old stomping ground. That time of year live baiting for kings (they get big) is very productive, fish the Sea Bouy, any of the artificial reefs, around the trawler and 14 bouy, or go over the east side and fish the Atlas. Fourteen bouy area is full of ledges, ride around and find one to anchor on, sea bass, triggers, grunts and some grouper. The east side can also be good for bottom fishing, 1500 rock, atlas, D wreck, chicken rock. Crossing the shoals can be a challenge, so pick your days.

Tuna fishing is usually NE corner of Big Rock, start trolling at the 90 ft drop. It can be very hit and miss.
    David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Crossing the shoals?? Would that be like leaving the inlet such as Haulover?? If so I have experience in those type situations.

Comment

The shoals is a wide stretch of rough and shallow water that extends from the beach at Cape Lookout out to twenty miles. The opposite side of the shoals is called the east side. Nice fishing spots over there but you have to deal with the shoals coming and going. Used to be a East and West bouy that marked the travel path but I think I heard maybe not so much anymore. Pick your days and look for the least white water.
        David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

Originally posted by Triplecrownnc View Post
          The shoals is a wide stretch of rough and shallow water that extends from the beach at Cape Lookout out to twenty miles. The opposite side of the shoals is called the east side. Nice fishing spots over there but you have to deal with the shoals coming and going. Used to be a East and West bouy that marked the travel path but I think I heard maybe not so much anymore. Pick your days and look for the least white water.
          Understood. Whitewater BAD! LOL

Comment

Warren, I'm local to Morehead. Send me an email if I can help you in any way. gkivett at whiteowl dot com

George
            1991 221 2006 250 ETEC Kinston NC

Comment

Working...
            X