First ever boay 1981 Mako 201

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ever boay 1981 Mako 201

Purchased my first ever boat today a 1981 Mako 20 ft with a Mercury 150 Fi. Is the model number a 20B? Bout this to fish in the bay and the gulf of Mexico. Anyone know if it can go out a mile or 2 pass the jetties safely? Needs a little work but overall good shape. It has no seat in front of the steering wheel is this the way it came or did someone remove it?

I am sure I will have plenty of questions.

quote:

Originally posted by jeff6898

Purchased my first ever boat today a 1988 Mako 20 ft with a 2005 Evinrude 150 Fi. Is the model number a 201? Bout this to fish in the bay and the gulf of Mexico. Anyone know if it can go out a mile or 2 pass the jetties safely? Needs a little work but overall good shape. It has no seat in front of the steering wheel is this the way it came or did someone remove it?

I am sure I will have plenty of questions.

few more pics

Comment

The 20C model became the 201 for a while and then they stopped making it. I had the 20C and it was a solid great performing boat that was plenty safe and I made plenty of runs of 6 - 8 miles in that boat. Best of all with a 200 Yami, it could run 50mph, but I typcially ran in the 35mph range. It's a stable boat and a shallow V, so it will not handle the big waves like a deeper-V hull. In a sea it will pound, but the smaller stuff it just rides right through.

I notice yours has a bracket and wonder how that impacts the ride and waterline height. I would also check to make sure the install was done correctly and any thru bolts are not going to allow water to penetrate the wood core in the transom, or you'll be recoring the transom.

D-
      Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Congratulations! I had my 20c up to 30 miles out, but if the weather turned, it was a long wet ride home but I had some great times in that boat.

BTW that is a Mercury, not an Evinrude motor. []

The factory configuration was two captains chairs behind the helm, but the best thing I ever did was install a leaning post.

What is the HIN on your boat? Should be located on the top right of the transom. I'd also be interested in seeing some more pictures of the stern inside and out.
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog[br]1985 Mako 20c - sold[br]Mary Esther, FL[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

BTW that is a Mercury, not an Evinrude motor. []

The factory configuration was two captains chairs behind the helm, but the best thing I ever did was install a leaning post.

Steve - there better ways to break the news to a guy that thinks he has an Evinrude to then find out it's a Merc.[:0] You have to let them down carefully so they don't fall into deep depression.[]

I'll second the comment on adding a leaning post. It is far more functional than chairs and I ditched the chairs for a leaning post as well.

D-
          Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Working...
          X