No announcement yet.

paint recommendation ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used emc topcoat. It's is a great product. I sprayed but it looks like a great paint to roll. Joel at gulfstream composites sells it

Comment

I used Awlgrip paint before. It's a good stuff. Whatever you choose, prep the surface really good to obtain the best possible result.

Comment

ive spent the last 3 weekends prepping and painting. This past weekend we rolled 2 coats of primer and got the first coat of color on (Alwgrip- sky blue). Looks great so far. I'll post pics soon. the painting part is much easier than the prepping.
        Matt221[br]\'89 Mako 221 w/ Zuke 250[br]\'77 Mako 17\' Angler (under construction)[br]Auburn,AL[br]

Comment

I just ordered the Signature finish paint Fletch recommends. I should get it next week sometime. I am rolling my 285. We'll see how it goes. Post pics when you are done.
          http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/wilsonmac14/IMG_0595.jpg

Comment

Mytime,

You'll do fine. Here's some notes I copied from another thread I participated in recently.

Those foam roller covers will lay down more paint when they're freshly loaded so it helps to disperse it evenly and then move it around. If you try to work in a linear/left-to-right fashion, it's harder to move the paint over the entire area you're attempting to cover. You'll tend to wind up with a little thicker application where you start and a little thinner where you finish. Hopefully, this makes sense.

With a wet, fine foam roller cover such as a 7" Redtree or West Systems, I could cover about 8 feet or so on my 32 footer (avg height of 4-5 feet). Using my 32 footer as an example, the technique that worked best for me was to wet out a stripe of 1 roller width about 2/3rds of the distance between the bottom paint and the rub-rail. Then I would jump about 8 foot away and wet out another stripe in the same fashion. Then slowly work towards the middle of the initial 2 stripes. Then, I would begin re-rolling from center to rub rail and from center to bottom paint. You are essentially "moving" the paint you applied with the initial stripes. Just keep working it back and forth until everything looks wet. Then go back and lightly roll again when your roller cover is basically dry.

I will use the little hot dog sized foam rollers on smaller/tighter areas but I'm not a fan of them on larger areas. You have to watch them. Once they begin to feel heavy, the foam is about to separate from the core. Toss that cover away and get a new one. The 7" roller covers will sometimes separate as well. The thin foam on these types of covers is wrapped onto the core in a spiral fashion. As soon as it starts to separate, get a new cover.

I tend to press pretty hard at times to stretch the paint out further and further. The rub is that you can leave little lines where the edge of the cover was pressing a little harder than the middle. Just get the light right so you can see the lines during the "tipping" phase and flatten them back out when this happens. Small lines and blemishes will level out as the paint cures. The average plastic handled roller frame is pretty wimpy also. Press too hard and the plastic handle will spin around the metal rod rendering it useless. Keep a spare or two around or spend a little more cabbage for a good wooden handled one.

A little goes a LONG way. If it looks wet, keep working it. If you try to put it on too thick, it will bunch up as it cures (i.e. orange peel). Stick with 6 parts flow fluid on smooth areas. Again, the rub is that you will have to apply more coats for total coverage and you will have to wait longer between coats. Pretty much a coat per day unless you started real early. Then you might be able to sneak in a second coat.. All that is needed between coats is to rub the previous coat with a red scotch brite pad after the paint has cured. You're really just trying to dull the finish a little so you can see where your next coat is laying down. You're not sanding - just dulling. I could rub my 32 footer down in about 20 minutes.
            Get Down Fishing Charters[br]http://www.capecanaveralfishingcharters.com

Comment

Appreciate the writeup Fletch. I saw your thread on THT as well with that detail. I just finished sanding down the entire hull with 180 grit using the 5" random orbital. Went through 80 sheets of paper! I am pretty sure I am almost ready. Need to fill and re-sand a few small spots that I found.

My problem is that it is supposed to be in the 30's here the rest of the week. Going to have to wait for some warmer weather again. Do you have some close up pics f how yours turned out? If so, could you e-mail them to me so I can get an idea? [email protected].

Thanks
              http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/wilsonmac14/IMG_0595.jpg

Comment

Sorry if I duplicated some info. I admit I'm not very quick to recognize folks between different forums.

I'll see if I can dig up some closeup pics and get them to you.

A few closeups in this thread over on THT: http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...ry-finish.html

Comment

Actually, I just saw that you were already over on that other thread. I'll see if I can find some more closeup pics. I'm about to finish a cooler molding project that I will paint with Signature as the final step. If nothing else, I'll be sure to get some good pics from that...

Comment

I posted pics on the project page under "17 makeover". the awlgrip rolled on real nice. we never even had to tip. we just went back and forth with the roller until all bubbles disappeared. it dried to a mirror finish. amazing really - looks just like sprayed. very pleased.[8D]
                    Matt221[br]\'89 Mako 221 w/ Zuke 250[br]\'77 Mako 17\' Angler (under construction)[br]Auburn,AL[br]

Comment

I agree with Fletch on the Signature Finish product. Easy to apply, easy to touch up and a great finish. You can wet sand and buff for a mirror like gloss.

Comment

Working...
                      X