Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 Mako 19 Transom Design Help

Hello All,

I am going to purchase a 1969 Mako 19. It needs a new transom. I am going to rebuild it obviously, but I know Mako 19 owners have complained about the original design, it being too low, wet, etc. I have looked at several threads, but could some mako 19 owners weigh in or share the dimensions of their transom design/rebuilds. I plan on powering it with a Yami four-stroke 90.

For the transom design, I wasn't sure if I should leave it open with a smaller notch for the outboard, or if I should close it and put a jack plate on.

All advice or insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Hey dumpster, 15 years ago or so I used to have a couple of 19's that were built in the 70's. I run in the chesapeake and don't remember them being terribly wet or having a problem with the low transom, it accommodated the 20" outboards of the time.
    If you closed the transom, I think you would need a 25" lower unit instead of a jack plate. Pretty sure jack plates are used to raise an outboard not lower them, though I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    On my 19's I ran 150 hp 2 strokes. I think a 90 with gas, a couple of people, gear, ice, etc would be under powered. I'm sure a four stroke 150 weighs more than the old 2 stroke 150's
    If the transom is rotten then the stringers are probably the same. You may be taking up the deck to get to them. If you do, you could raise the floor a couple of inches and close the transom then you can add a larger four stroke and not have the scuppers under water.
    Plenty of info on that on this forum.
    I have a 17' now with a 115 hp, this seems to be a perfect match. I hope you enjoy yours.
    1977 22\' Mako sold[br]1975 24\' Blackfin Fisherman sold[br]1973 19\' Mako sold[br]1974 19\' Mako sold[br]1987 Wellcraft 180 Fisherman Sold[br]1988 Rampage 24 Express (New Ride)[br]1977 17\' Mako Standard[br]1989 17\' Mako 171 Just added

Comment

Originally posted by dayjtradr View Post
      Hey dumpster, 15 years ago or so I used to have a couple of 19's that were built in the 70's. I run in the chesapeake and don't remember them being terribly wet or having a problem with the low transom, it accommodated the 20" outboards of the time.
      If you closed the transom, I think you would need a 25" lower unit instead of a jack plate. Pretty sure jack plates are used to raise an outboard not lower them, though I don't see why it wouldn't work.
      On my 19's I ran 150 hp 2 strokes. I think a 90 with gas, a couple of people, gear, ice, etc would be under powered. I'm sure a four stroke 150 weighs more than the old 2 stroke 150's
      If the transom is rotten then the stringers are probably the same. You may be taking up the deck to get to them. If you do, you could raise the floor a couple of inches and close the transom then you can add a larger four stroke and not have the scuppers under water.
      Plenty of info on that on this forum.
      I have a 17' now with a 115 hp, this seems to be a perfect match. I hope you enjoy yours.
      I was thinking about a 90 or 115 because I have a Yami f150 on my 1981 21 (which weighs considerably more). My 21 tops out at 40/36 Mph depending on the day, so I thought maybe I could get away with a 90/115 on the 19. I will do more research though. I received some advice from other owners, and I think I will just rebuild the original transom, but a little bit higher. I have a design drawn out, I can post it later and maybe get some feedback.

Other members have also said I could raise the deck. I plan on separate the hull caps if I can, and if I do that I can raise the deck then... How much should I raise it? 1 inch? 2 inches? More? I want to put in an internal tank, and raising the deck would help with space accommodation etc.

Here is my build thread. I have been working for a couple of weeks and will update my progress.

https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...ako-19-rebuild

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X