Having Withdrawals...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Withdrawals...

Took a new job and sold my Mako 25 Project...I moved 8000 miles and just could not justify shipping a project. Now I feel the need to find a Mako in Guam, Hawaii, or Southern California and have it shipped through Matson to Kwajalein. Not wanting a project since it is near impossible to get supplies out here, luckily we have a fleet of Cobia 23's with twins...unluckily they come with time and range restrictions that kill some of the best fishing times...
    Steven Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Any 295 projects for sale?

Comment

Oh man, you're on the rock... How is life on Kwaj? I'd read about a few of those remote posts (Diego Garcia), always wondered.

They have any needs for Electronics techs?

Comment

Shakes,

Send me a PM with your email and I will see what I can find for you. Do you have any Cisco Certs?

I have just been out of quarantine for three weeks and only made it on the water once, got skunked but did not have any of my gear yet so I was not serious about the fishing as much as I was about learning the passes.

Comment

Sounds like an awesome experience to me, post up now and then how things are going.
          David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

So far going crazy, no boat and lots of water to fish...Still don't know when i will be able to get into a boat class with all the COVID restrictions keeping new hires off the base. Got to have at least 15 people for a class and right now just me and my wife are signed up. I hate begging to go out with people but it just might come down to that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Prater View Post
              So far going crazy, no boat and lots of water to fish...Still don't know when i will be able to get into a boat class with all the COVID restrictions keeping new hires off the base. Got to have at least 15 people for a class and right now just me and my wife are signed up. I hate begging to go out with people but it just might come down to that!!!
              I was reading about that, and was hoping they'd maybe institute a 'or once every 30 days' clause. That's got to make life on the rock pretty rough.

Comment

Wow, out on Kwaj? Do they still dump the old food off the shore and feed the sharks? If they do, grab a fishing pole and snag one! I was a missionary on Ebeye, Truk, and Ponape teaching in high schools. Did lots of fishing with the natives for tuna. We would go out in old 18' wooden boats out past the reefs looking for birds. Then we would find the tuna. We used 110 lb hand lines only. The last fish caught around 3pm was cut up and soaked in soy sauce, lemon, and hot sauce. Wow, was that good. We would go out at night to the reef for reef fish too, snapper, parrot, etc. Always a soft spot in my heart for those days......
                Mark Kriz[br]Mako15 1974[br]Mercury Thunderbolt 800 1972[br]Maple Valley, WA[br][br]

Comment

Awesome Story, We are still getting settled in. My pack out is on island but not to my BQ yet. My wife and I are planning to take the ferry over to Ebeye and explore a bit...

Comment

Ebeye may have changed some since I was there. They used to have taxis (private cars turned into wagons) and give rides around the island (you can walk from end to end in 20 minutes anyway). I fished off the main boat dock of Ebeye. We used 10 lb test line on 6 or 7 foot poles. Right under the dock were these smaller stick fish. We would toss in small pieces of bread and snag one of the "Tak" fish with a small treble hook, then cast it out as far as possible off the dock. The Tak fish would swim on top of the water. A school of tuna (skip jack) would come by and one would grab the Tak. I caught a number of these 15 to 20 lb skip jack right off the dock. Had to have a good amount of line on the spool though. usually took a good 30 minutes to bring in the fish. Natives had a gaff to get it up on the dock. I caught a few rainbow runners that way too.

If you pass a Catholic church and school called Queen of Peace, I used to teach there to 8th graders, all classes. And yes, at the time, I was a Jesuit. Well, until I met Susan a number of years later while stationed in Buffalo NY, but that is another story.
                    Mark Kriz[br]Mako15 1974[br]Mercury Thunderbolt 800 1972[br]Maple Valley, WA[br][br]

Comment

We are not allowed to fish the docks here on base, to many PCB's in the water. Sounds like fun catching Tuna off the dock, I have another buddy who used to catch yellowfin off the dock at Ascention Island. Were you assigned to Ebeye or was it a personal selection?

Comment

I was assigned to Ebeye the first 2 times I had gone out, very early too, 1985 and 1987. Couple of years later I was assigned to Truk Island for a number of years. I was responsible for the summer school program on Ponape while assigned to Truk Island. Truk was the best for fishing, where I would go out with the natives with hand lines for tuna. There are some outer islands near Ebeye that had some interesting fishing. I used 6 lb test with 6 ft poles, then treble hook with bait. The bait was a can of mackerel squeezed with bread into doughballs. We caught different types of reef fish from shore, then cooked them up for lunch! I had quite the experience out there, not only with the fishing, but also with the culture and teaching the kids in schools. Part of my life I will never forget.

Comment

Working...
                        X