285 Split Console Leaning while on plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 285 Split Console Leaning while on plane

Hello everyone. New to the group. We have a 1085 285 split console Mako. We bought it with Evinrude 2"thirsty"5's. Boat ran great. We put Yamaha Salt Water Series 250's on it. Boat now hooks, leans on both sides once we go over 3700 rpm. It did not do this with the 235's. Any ideas of how to remedy the issue? I was thinking about putting 4 blade props instead of the 3 blades we have now.

Usually with a single the boat will lean to port because of prop torque. Do you have a standard and a counter rotating motors on? Another cause is to much pitch on the props. As the pitch increases the prop torque increases? Are you running similar pitched props now compared to the old motors? Typically when you go to a 4 blade prop you drop the pitch some which in turn may reduce the prop torque.

Current
    '76 Mako 25 w/ '03 300 Yamaha HPDI
    Previous
    '85 Mako 21B w/ '94 225 yamaha
    '73 Mako 19 w/ '96 112spl Evinrude
    Brick, NJ

Comment

Thanks for the reply. We have been talking about the same ideas. We do have counter rotating props but i do not recall the pitch of the old motor props. Hopefully i can borrow another set to try out rather than purchasing.

Comment

If you have a standard and a counter rotating motors on the boat the fact they spin in opposite directions should eliminate prop torque. Could it be a weight distribution issue? Water stuck in the bilge area somewhere? Did you add any new equiptment like oil tanks with the new motors? Move the batteries to a new spot? Thats a pretty big boat and I find it hard to believe a couple oil tanks could have much of an impact, just tossing out ideas.

Current
        '76 Mako 25 w/ '03 300 Yamaha HPDI
        Previous
        '85 Mako 21B w/ '94 225 yamaha
        '73 Mako 19 w/ '96 112spl Evinrude
        Brick, NJ

Comment

how are the trim zinc's aligned? Is the tie bar between motors set so the motors are properly oriented?

Comment

When on plane take a look behind the boat at the wakes from the motors. They should meet somewhere in the range of 25 to 50 feet aft of the vessel. If they don't converge or actually diverge, the toe out is incorrect. Also check the height of the cavitation plate. If the motors are mounted too high, it is possible when turning for the prop on the outside of the turn to loose bite.
            Regarding the trim anodes on the lower units. If you have a regular and a counter motor, you don't need anodes with tabs. If you have tabs, they should be set at a straight angle

Comment

Working...
            X