Project scope advice - 241 upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project scope advice - 241 upgrades

I'm upgrading a 1992 241. I haven't been able to nail down dollar figures with the guy who is going to do the work in the form of an official quote and though he comes recommended, I used to work in the sailing side of the industry and I had to furnish full quotes and get a client's signature before proceeding. Long story short, for those who do this kind of work and those who have done this kind of work, can you give me a ballpark figure on some of the projects we're planning to do so I'm not shocked when I either finally get the quote or I get the bill?

Projects are:
    1. Remove old 2 stroke 150s entirely - with controls - selling - put everything on a pallet or two.
    2. Remove old steering system - Replace with new SeaStar single piston unit (sounds like $1,200 for parts alone)
    3. Remove center console, inspect fuel tank, pressure test it, replace fuel lines if tank is okay
    4. Rewire most of the electrical in the boat - maybe not a complete job but about 80%
    5. New batteries
    6. Install new twin Mercury 150s (I don't need the purchase price, that much I know)
    7. New props
    8. Check bilge pump and hoses to ensure water tight
    9. Sea test

Thanks

I forgot to include:
    10. New dual controls for the Mercury motors as I didn't buy them with the motors
    11. Digital gauges - all new

Comment

I redid my 254 last year but did complete new full transom with bracket, New Zuke 150's with steering and gauges, rewired and re plumbed whole boat, new fuel cell and 25 gal fresh water tank. Thats not everything but thats the jist of it whatever you plan for add at least Another 50% to the budget for unforeseen and extra wants/needs that come up
      [br]Z-man [br]Winter Haven, FL[br]1983 Mako 254[br]1999 Sport Nautique/GT-40

Comment

Have you considered fly by wire? Also N2K networking motors to MFD.
        Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Originally posted by Z-man View Post
          I redid my 254 last year but did complete new full transom with bracket, New Zuke 150's with steering and gauges, rewired and re plumbed whole boat, new fuel cell and 25 gal fresh water tank. Thats not everything but thats the jist of it whatever you plan for add at least Another 50% to the budget for unforeseen and extra wants/needs that come up
          Z-man, can I ask what you invested in your rebuild? The shop owner pointed out that there are some unknowns that could pop up, like the fuel tank needing to be replaced entirely (fingers crossed) and he wouldn't quote on re-plumbing the bilge hoses so I asked him to hold off for now as I don't want this project to get out of hand.

keyman I wasn't expecting to put new motors on the boat in the first place but one of the '92 Yamahas had a common problem where the bearing seizes around the shaft and you can't get the lower unit down. We worked at it for combined hours and I think we stopped when it was two inches down. The port motor fired right up. As a result, I was thinking used motors but got talking into new motors and that's where I'm at, 2020 Mercury 150s.

Comment

Working...
          X