Help me replace 1.5" scuppers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me replace 1.5" scuppers!

I posted this on THT and haven't gotten anywhere. I'm restoring a 1990 171 and removed the old cracked scuppers from the transom. I'm now left with 1.5" holes. Every scupper I've tried is too big or too small. I'm desperate at this point. I'm beginning to think my only
    option is to have custom scuppers made. But that can't be the only option, right? I've tried 5-6 different kinds and none have fit. Either too big or too small. They seem to be made for either a 1-1/4 hole or a 1-7/8 hole, but not a 1-1/2 hole.
    Any help is appreciated. I can't be the first guy to replace 1-1/2 scuppers on a 171.

I know TH marine makes many different sizes? But cant say for sure they make 1-1/2" Worst case scenario can bore out to have 1-7/8"?, even more self bailing can't be a bad thing

Comment

Lots of 1-7/8 options. They don't have a 1-1/2" option unfortunately. Unfortunately I don't think I can bore it out bigger than it is. The side of the scupper inside the boat is recessed I to the deck, and I don't think there's enough room to make the hole bigger. See the pic if that doesn't make sense.
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you could enlarge, just don’t go lower.
        Long Island, New York

Comment

I don't follow what you are looking for.
          Are you looking for the part that covers the hole or are you looking to sleeve the hole through the transom?
          Toronto, Canada[br]76 Mako 23[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60514

Comment

Last time I replaced scupper tubes, I epoxied thin wall PVC pipe in their place...
            1992 211 w/175 OptiMax
            Glen Campbell, Pa.

Comment

I replaced the brass scuppers on our 25 several years ago. I bought a Moeller flanging tool. I removed the old scupper, coated the hole with thickened epoxy then installed a new brass scupper with 5200 with the flanging tool. Maybe this will help.
              Last edited by CReelSr; 03-27-2020, 09:59 AM.
              Charles-Pearland,TX
              Sea Reel- 1977 Mako 25 SOLD
              Phe Phe's 17- 1978 Mako 17 Standard-in TX

Comment

Originally posted by jamie View Post
                I don't follow what you are looking for.
                Are you looking for the part that covers the hole or are you looking to sleeve the hole through the transom?
                The sleeve that runs through the transom.
                originally I was thinking i could use a thru-hull for them but can't find one that will for the current hole.

Comment

Originally posted by CReelSr View Post
                  I replaced the brass scuppers on our 25 several years ago. I bought a Moeller flanging tool. I removed the old scupper, coated the hole with thickened epoxy then installed a new brass scupper with 5200 with the flanging tool. Maybe this will help.
                  Someone in THT mentioned getting this-
                  https://tdibrass.com/products/1-5-di...nt=36853513288

and flaring each side of it once I cut it to size. I don't see ANY moeller flanging tool for 1.5" pipe though. It's always 1", 1-1/4", or 1-7/8".

Comment

I used thickened epoxy to bed a piece of PVC pipe for my drain plug hole.
                    Toronto, Canada[br]76 Mako 23[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60514

Comment

So just cut a piece of pvc (or stainless) to the exact thickness of the transom, slather it in 4200, and shove it in?

Comment

I replaced my brass sleeves with PVC also. I didn’t use 4200 I used thickened epoxy.
                        Long Island NY [br]1985 Mako 20C[br]2003 Yamaha OX66 150[br]

Comment

Would marine Tex work? Or would I need something more specialized?

EDIT- Thickened epoxy is the name of the epoxy. Got it. I'm not familair with all the different epoxies and goo's out there. But if I ever finish this project I'm sure I will be. Looks like this thickened epoxy only comes in a full size caulk tube. I think I need about 1/4 of that at most.
                          Last edited by Sumguy; Today, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Check out this website https://www.westsystem.com/wp-conten...anual-2016.pdf
                            There is a lot of information about their epoxies.
                            Charles-Pearland,TX
                            Sea Reel- 1977 Mako 25 SOLD
                            Phe Phe's 17- 1978 Mako 17 Standard-in TX

Comment

Working...
                            X