Fuel Fill Replacement 90* to straight 230 W/A Hard to fill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Fill Replacement 90* to straight 230 W/A Hard to fill

Anyone find a 3 1/2" flanged straight fuel fill replacement to replace the original 90* bend one in the gunnel? I think this tight 90* bend fuel fill is the culprit as to why I cannot burry the gas nozzel when filling and which causes fuel to splatter and the pump to stop. I can find 3" flanged fuel fills but not ones that are 3 1/2". TIA

John

Are you sure your vent line is clear and functioning?

Comment

ON my Mako 220 I always had a hard time with the fuel backing up due to the 90* elbow right under the port gunnel. When I replaced the fuel tank I changed the fuel fill line and vent hose. As I was at it I removed the fuel fill and unscrewed the 90* from the original marinum fill & cap, I was able to get a straight brass hose barb from west marine that screwed into the old fuel fill, I had to redirect the fill hose by digging out some of the foam (a lot of foam). Why they used a 90* and ran the hose horizontal for about 2' makes me wonder what they were thinking, now I'm able to fuel up without it backing up and making a mess.
      88 220 with 225 E-tec[br]Babylon, NY[br]

Comment

I ordered a new fuel fill with built in key to remove the filler plug but the flange wasn't as large as OEM. I knew that when I bought it but by measurement, it should have been a little off, not a lot. It was a lot. Locally I could only find an unplated steel replacement. I found Groco 1-1/2"" NPT x 1-1/2" ID Stainless Steel Pipe to Hose Strai. [PTH-1500-S] on Amazon for $24.82. Boat filled fast after replacement.
        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

"Boat filled fast after replacement."

Yeah, I guess it did. I can't understand a 90 degree bend being all the way up there...that's crazy.
          Is there another 90 when the fill line gets down below the deck?
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
          1978 Mako 25

Comment

Originally posted by flounder View Post
            "Boat filled fast after replacement."

Yeah, I guess it did. I can't understand a 90 degree bend being all the way up there...that's crazy.
            Is there another 90 when the fill line gets down below the deck?
            There is the gentle curve it makes to go under the deck and to the tank. 90* right at the nozzle was a terrible idea. It creates backpressure as it doesn't allow fuel to get downstream. It creates a pressure point right at the mouth of the nozzle. Spent the last 1.5 years taking way too much and fiddling to fuel.

Comment

I'm glad you and IDBooch straightened (pun intended) it out. Hope other 220 and 230 owners took notice.
              Ole Joe
              Just floundering around
              White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
              1978 Mako 25

Comment

Working...
              X