Recessed trim tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recessed trim tabs

I know a lot of people remember the restored 236 Inboard "Erin Marie". I was wondering if anyone knows where some information on the build might be found. I'm curious as to how the trim tabs on that boat were done because I would like to do something similar. I'll attach a picture for reference.
    Attached Files

the tabs made on my 221 I think? and my 241 tabs I know for a fact because I had to replace quite a few parts were made by a company called televator, now out of business. That said bennett trim pumps and other parts are just about perfectly interchangeable. If your boat currently has no tabs, you should be able to get very good performance out of traditionally mounted transom mounted tabs without having to cut out pockets to make them recessed like the boat in the picture, if your boat has none already in the boat? and without knowing the full story

Comment

So my boat has typical transom-mounted trim tabs, and I would like to change them to so that they are hidden underneath the boat like on the picture above. I know there are different ways of doing it. I was just curious if anyone knows the way these tabs were actually done.

Comment

from the factory they likely come out of the mold with the notched out pockets area already done. Doing it after the fact would mean you would have to cut into the hull to add same or similar recessed tabs. If you were already into a big project and putting a new transom on the boat might be a good time to possibly do that? But don't see doing all that much work just to have recessed tabs? Have had tabs both ways on different boats and can't say the performance of the recessed tabs were that much better or at all better then transom mount? That being said all my boats are outboard powered, but maybe one of the IB guys can comment more specifically on your model

Comment

So, being that the boat is an inboard, I mainly wanted to do it for aesthetic reasons. The completely clean transom on an inboard is just such a great look. As far as performance, I believe that recessing the trim tabs may actually reduce their performance slightly since the tabs are now underneath the boat, they are no longer extending the effective running surface of the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by ddd241 View Post
            from the factory they likely come out of the mold with the notched out pockets area already done. Doing it after the fact would mean you would have to cut into the hull to add same or similar recessed tabs. If you were already into a big project and putting a new transom on the boat might be a good time to possibly do that? But don't see doing all that much work just to have recessed tabs? Have had tabs both ways on different boats and can't say the performance of the recessed tabs were that much better or at all better then transom mount? That being said all my boats are outboard powered, but maybe one of the IB guys can comment more specifically on your model
            I agree!....way too much work!

Comment

Originally posted by trace elements View Post
              I know a lot of people remember the restored 236 Inboard "Erin Marie". I was wondering if anyone knows where some information on the build might be found. I'm curious as to how the trim tabs on that boat were done because I would like to do something similar. I'll attach a picture for reference.
              Wondering why the trim tabs are so far inboard (was this factory?) mines are way out by the chine right where the notches are on the pic...doesn't take much figuring,the further out from center line,the more effective they would be.

Comment

Working...
              X