Getting better with fiberglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting better with fiberglass

So I know my woodworking. I can work with metal, but fiberglass is a different animal. I really want to make some structural changes to my 1977 mako 25 next winter. So now is the time to start my research. I read everything I can here, but what I need are details. Are there , books? Online forums? Video library that you can recommend to someone who wants to learn the correct way?

There are lots of youtube videos out there, but knowing if they are accurate is another thing. I am looking to remove fishboxes, raise my transom, open up my gunnel rod holders and possibly add a head under a revamped console.

Any advice is highly appreciated.
    1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Search boatworkstoday on YouTube. Everything he says is gospel. There are shortcuts you could take but he is very thorough.

Comment

A couple sites that I go to are, epoxyworks.com, and fibreglast.com. Both have libraries of how-to info and materials suggestions. At Fibreglast, go to their upper left menu and open “Leaning center” at the bottom of the list. Scroll down to “White Papers and Brochures”. At Epoxyworks home page, scroll all the way down (past the current articles) to their list of categories and articles.

Classic Mako is probably the best resource for the type of modifications you describe because the work is supported with text and photos. Search the posts of the guys you already know about and start a library of their posts and photos. Poject posts by ssfishx, Mrdelgado, Sailor, and Parter deal with details of our old 25s. There is a wealth of info in the pisc alone. And yes, Boatworks Today is a reliable resource.

Hope this helps.
      Ole Joe
      Just floundering around
      White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
      1978 Mako 25

Comment

thank you for the links above. I will start my dauntless research, or obsession as my wife calls it, about structural fiberglass work. Thank You

Comment

Hey Rusty,

Another site, FiberGlass Coatings Inc may be of help. Go to thier"Blog" section. Keep loading the older posts.
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
          1978 Mako 25

Comment

Originally posted by flounder View Post
            Hey Rusty,

Another site, FiberGlass Coatings Inc may be of help. Go to thier"Blog" section. Keep loading the older posts.
            Always looking out for me Joe! thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Incommunicadl View Post
              Search boatworkstoday on YouTube. Everything he says is gospel. There are shortcuts you could take but he is very thorough.
              These video are great! Thank you so much.

Comment

Working...
              X