Paint Vs Gelcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Vs Gelcoat

Just started redoing the floor and transom on my 1979 19'. I can not make up my mind on whether to go back with gelcoat or go with paint. What are yall's thoughts? If paint what kind?
    Last edited by Cryan19; 01-11-2020, 06:52 PM.
    Rock-A-Fella [br]1978 Mako 19[br]Ocean Springs, Ms.[br][br]

Consider how you will use the boat (parked at a slip or on a trailer), whether it will have bottom paint and the added time/cost of gel.

If it sits in the water for more than a few days at a time and doesn't have bottom paint then gel is a better choice. Topside paint will blister if left submerged for too long.
    Gel coat is way more work to polish and buff to make it look as good as paint.

My boat sits in the water from April to October and doesn't have bottom paint. I went with gel coat. It was a lot of work but looks great now that it is done.
    Toronto, Canada[br]76 Mako 23[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60514

Comment

It will not be sitting in the water for more than a day. I fish a lot so I want something that will hold up to the blood and sinkers dropping on the deck.
      Rock-A-Fella [br]1978 Mako 19[br]Ocean Springs, Ms.[br][br]

Comment

Gelcoat is great, it is hard and repairable, but lacks the luster of some of the new 2 part marine paints. Not to mention it is more labor-intensive to apply compared to modern 2 part paints. On the other hand, tried and true Awlgrip is also very hard, but not repairable in the sense that Gelcoat is. Awlcraft 2000 is another product by awlgrip that is slightly less hard then Awlgrip, however, it can be buffer and repaired. When I paint my boat this spring, it will be done with Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000. Imron is also an excellent choice. However, there is an excellent knowledge base for awlgrip available which can be very valuable if you plan to do the paint yourself.

Comment

I'd search my build thread. For the money and effort, I'd roll and tip it. Newer polyurethane paints make it too easy. Especially if you don't plan on wet slipping.

Comment

Working...
          X