To glass or not to glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To glass or not to glass?

Awsome Site....Just found it today. I have a '93 241 Mako with twin 200 Yamaha's and I seem to have a problem when anchored for Snapper or Cobia fishing, in that water will come over the transom and stay on the deck, when the weather probably should have kept me in the bed. I have read on this web site that this is a common problem. So, I have looked in to putting a bracket (Armstong Bracket)and glassing in the transom. It seems that this would solve my problems but would this create problems with performance. Any feedback would be great. Thanks for your help. Parker
    SOLD...[br]Rigged Out[br]\'93 241 Mako[br]Twin 200hp YAMAHA\'S[br]As of now...[br]2005 Triton 240LTS[br]225hp Honda[br]Ocean Springs, MS

Welcome to the Mako wet-feet club. With your boat, the full transom and bracket is the absolute way to go. In fact, it should improve your performance. You may notice a little less reactivity in reverse, but if your barcket is well built (follows the V of the hull) it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm just down the road from you. I am having my bracket custom built by Caldwell Custom Fab. in Biloxi. Hes the best in my opinion. Not only a great fabricator/welder, but a good guy. He is considered expensive, but you get what you pay for.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Go to the bracket and you will never go back []

Strick
      Oakley, California

Comment

Lot's of reading about Brackets here.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...eBrackets.html

Comment

Well boys... the verdict is in. After reading articles and talking to owners and fabricators, I have decided to go with a transom bracket and glassing in the transom. Thanks for the information. Ringleader you called it when you chose Caldwell to do your work. I knew of him doing t-tops and towers for larger sportfishers. But after reading your response, I called him and he sat on the phone Tuesday and let me hammer him with questions about the effects the bracket would have on my boat and trailer. Plus he gave me names and numbers of local Mako owners who has had this work done. This guy knows his stuff. The best part is, he is only three miles from my house. Can't get to far from my Mako. He asked me to stop by this Thursday to watch and learn how he installs a bracket. Hopefully by May I can make arrangements to have the work done. I will try to post before and after pictures. Thanks again...
          SOLD...[br]Rigged Out[br]\'93 241 Mako[br]Twin 200hp YAMAHA\'S[br]As of now...[br]2005 Triton 240LTS[br]225hp Honda[br]Ocean Springs, MS

Comment

Cool, James is a good guy. Everyone who sees my t-top looks at the welds and they all remark about how clean his welds are as well as how solid the whole thing is built. I am 200 lbs and I can do chin ups on the back of the thing and it won't even budge.

You can get a cheaper bracket or T-top... But with James you can bring him the boat and tell him what you want and he'll tell you if its a good idea or not... In other words the 2 of you can brainstorm the idea/concept and you get a custom product... For instance... My T-top is built to my height. The rod holders ar all placed for me (I'm 5'10") to be able to place/remove a rod from them without haveing to stand on my tip-toes ro the ice chest. The grab bars are all placed where I can comfortably hold onto them. The actual top is placed at a level for my height. Its all little things that he took the time to stand in my boat with me, a tape measure, notebook, and pencil and we drew and measured how tall, wide or long the thing would be according to me personally. We put bars and bends where they would be out of my line of sight and look stylish too. Its not a cookie cutter job.

Let me know how it goes! I wish I could see him put a bracket on too.

Comment

Well, I brought my '93 241 to the local glass guy to fill in the transom and having Caldwell build the transom brackett to hold the twin 200's. I know its wrong time of year to do this and maybe I should try the glass myself, But... my wife and I just had Twins. Yes, twins; boy and a girl. These are my first and being 36 yrs old, I am trying to adjust for the lack of sleep and time off. I hope to have before and after pictures in a month. Really looking forward to getting it back. Is it just me or when you see your boat stripped of motors, you get a sick feeling? Oh, well time to go back to sleep, I mean work and earn some money. Enjoy the site and maybe one day I can try some glass work myself.

Comment

Does Caldwell Custom Fab. have a website?
                Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

Comment

No webpage. Just a small one man operation that turns out very nice work... One job at a time.

Comment

Well the stars finally lined up this week. My twins have started sleeping at night and I was able to take the boat out this week. Closing in the transom and adding a bracket made this boat handle better than I could have imagine. James Caldwell of Ocean Springs, MS; built my bracket. He really can do a great job, plus he has alot of patience. Dixie Marine of D'Iberville; MS closed in my transom. Sorry Strick, I have to leave the glass work to the professionals. I also took a risk and moved the counter rotating engine to the starboard side. There seems to be something to this move. I just can't explain it. Thanks to everyone who helped me decide to have the work done. Ringleader would you post the pictures here? Thanks

Parker

Comment

The boat looks great! I'm glad James did the excellent work that I always brag about. Sounds like it rides great too. Makes me want to get a 261 mako even more now! Enjoy.

Comment

[] More closup pix's please. Outside of the transom and bracket.

Comment

Working...
                        X