Reasonable offer on a '80 17' Mako?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable offer on a '80 17' Mako?

We've spotted a 17' Mako for sale close to our home. After taking a closer look and giving the seller a call, here are the details: 1980 boat, new floor and stringers, and an '03 Yamaha with about 40 hrs. What's a reasonable offer to make on her?
    \"Sea Dog\"[br]\'70 Mako 17, \'00 Yamaha C90[br]RI and SE MA

What hp is the motor? Even though some work has been done, is the quality of that in which you could hang your hat on ?
    1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Comment

Also, is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine? Pretty big difference in price, but also more gas savings with the 4 stroke. An '03 engine with 40 hours, especially a 4 stroke, is not going to be that much less than a new one, so expect to pay close to the cost of a new one plus whatever the boat and trailer are worth.

Good luck
      Corpuscruiser[br]Northern AL[br]\'94 171

Comment

It's a 2-stroke 90hp. The boat looks like it needs a bit of cosmetic work. Probably needs a bottom paint and wood trim needs some sanding and varnish. Our only concerns are a couple of 1/2" hairline cracks on the top rear where the railing attaches.

The seller's asking price is $5,500.

Thanks for any advice.

Comment

That's basically 5 grand for the motor and 500 for the boat. Go to edsmarinesuperstore.com, and you'll see a new 2-stroke 90 is $5299 (and his prices are bargain basement).

So I guess 500 for the boat is a good deal, right?
          \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Just a few thoughts-

If the boat required "new floor & stringers", it's probably a good idea to triple-check the soundness of the transom. Maybe you can also find out what they learned about the fuel tank while it was exposed. If the trim is teak, read up on finishes before you decide to varnish. Unless it has been previously varnished, I think you'll have a number of choices. Regarding the cracks near the rail, do the brackets attached to the deck seem solid? Look closely to see if it looks like they have ever been moved - "re-installed" so the fasteners attach to more solid wood. Is there a trailer?

If you put your city and state in the signature section of your forum profile, members will be able to give you more and better answers to any questions you have, especially with respect to boat values, as there are dramatic regional differences in prices.

Good luck with the deal!

Win
            It\'s a Mako.[br]\'82 20B,\'90 E-150[br]Woodbridge, CT

Comment

Despite the new engine, I would pass on it. Very few of those rebuilds are done right.
              Richard[br]Miami[br]Pearson Flyer 30

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. Here are a few pics we took tonight. We have questions about the fuel tank (we're Mako novices). There are two external fuel tanks (plastic) at the stern of the boat. We're not certain these are the only tanks and the current owner is not available to ask. Is this indicative of a failed fuel tank or is this the norm for an '80 17' Standard? Here's a pic:

The cracks we mentioned previously toward the stern can be seen in this pic. They seem like surface cracks.

The engine, while were told was a 2003 has a stamp on the mount which indicates 6/2000. Is this a red flag? A pic is provided:

Transom looked solid and can be seen in some of the pics below.

Here's a couple of overall pics:

We're not necessarily looking for a pristine boat. We intend to use it primarily inside the harbor for fishing and cruising. Alot of tidal river cruising in Southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

Wannabe Mako Owners

SE MA and RI

Comment

Couple of things....

The deck has definately had work, since the original color of the floor should be that old Mako mustard yellow...The original below deck fuel tank was probably removed then (I don't see an old fill for a below deck tank...which it should have)..? That also looks like an aftermarket center console, and not the original...but I could be wrong. It also looks like there is some kind of lip in the floor that creates an area for the above deck tanks...you can see it in the second to last picture...which was probably added when the floor was worked on...? That is a Todd aftermarket seat/cooler combo (they are manufactured in Cranston, RI)...I have one on my charter boat and I just had it re-upholstered (I can recommend a good guy here in Providence). And if the engine says 6/2000, then I would have to say it's not a 2003...no matter what they say (maybe they bought a leftover in '03...?...who knows).

But overall the boat looks pretty solid, and clean. I live in Providence, and although I don't consider myself a Mako expert (yet), I do know boats in general. I could take a look at it with you if you want a closer opinion.

Let me know and good luck.

Tom
                  1988 171 Standard - new to me 1995 Johnson 115hp[br]1973 17 Standard - STILL looking for a nice used engine for this hull![br]\"You\'re gonna need a bigger boat.\"[br]Providence River Boat Company[br]http://www.providenceriverboat.com/[br]M/V Proud Mary[br]28\' Sylvan Supreme/90HP Evinrude Etec (tour/charter boat)[br]Providence, RI[br]Become a fan of the Providence River Boat Company on Facebook![br]

Comment

Thanks all for your comments. I checked with the owner and yes indeed the fuel tank was removed when they redid the stringers and the floor. The two portables is what is used. They are 12gal each. Any idea what kind of range I might expect with the Yamaha 90 and the Mako17?

Other ideas on extending the range?

Thanks

Wannabe Mako Owners

SE MA and RI

Comment

Replacing the fuel tank and getting the weight in the center of the boat where it should be would certainly help.
                      \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

LOL. Good point.

Wannabe Mako Owners

SE MA and RI

Comment

I'd offer $2,000 and if he gets pissed, so what. Walk away. Lots of visable cosmetic issues, he lied about the motor year. What else?
                          \'81 21\' CC Mako[br]Beaufort, NC

Comment

These guys know what they are talking about. Take their advice.
                            \'84 Mako 172[br](the money pit)[br]San Clemente, CA

Comment

I would be worried about the fuel tanks. They were put under the deck for a reason. Now with those tanks at the back of the transon you have lost more space on deck. Why did they not redo the floor the right way with the tank below. Makes me wonder what kind of work they did on the stringers themselves. Seems like they cut corners
                              221B Mako[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X