Picking up a Project 19 on Monday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking up a Project 19 on Monday...

Driving from VA down to FL again, after work on Sunday. This will be, by far, the farthest I've trailered anything. I'll be replacing my brake pads tonite, but is there any other recommendation on long-distance trailering? I just changed my oil 500 miles ago. Should I do it again or wait until I get back? Change air filter again?

Here's the boat: http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/0/80360770.htm
    \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Make sure you come up with a spare for the trailer if it doesnt have one. If it has bearing buddies grease the heck out of them and then again once or twice on the road(bring your grease gun) check your lug nuts. if your trailer starts to come apart on the trip you can use 2x4s and metal strapping material to shore it backup. You will know after about the first 40 miles if your bearings are going to servive the trip.(they will be hot if there bad) Even wall-mart has bearing sets if your lucky enough to have the right size. That boat looks like a good project. That motor you bought from Gary will be perfect for it. Good luck. dont change your oil untill you get back. only change your air filter if it needs it. dave.
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Way to go! Looks like the project has already started for you... new fuel tank, etc etc.

Good luck with the boat and, more importantly, have a safe trip!

Win
      It\'s a Mako.[br]\'82 20B,\'90 E-150[br]Woodbridge, CT

Comment

Dave, thanks for the advice. I can guarantee that the back seat of the pickup will be chock full of tools. The grease gun is a good idea. []
        \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Man mub,I've got few words from a fellow virgin--ian,YOU'VE got it bad.Ironic thing is,I got my eye on a 19 as well.I must got it bad too!! But the surf is getting good so," IT'LL HAVE TO WAIT".[][][]
          1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Comment

New RF caliper and pads on both sides last nite. rear shoes this afternoon. I'm not taking any chances. []

Comment

In addition to a spare trailer tire (you might want to get two spares since it's a tandem), I would also take a couple of cans of fix-a-flat. I had a friend that had three trailer blow-outs on a drive from Ft. Meyers to the Keys - a 4 hour trip - and he ONLY had two spares so the cans of fix-a-flat kept him from having to leave the boat and trailer road side. The add said new bearings and hubs so you might be OK there, but I woould grab a spare hub on the way out of town. The whole hub assembly is pretty cheap and if the bearings go, you can just swap out the whole hub road side pretty easily. Good Luck. I traveled 250 miles one way to get my 171 and don't regret it for a moment.
              Corpuscruiser[br]Northern AL[br]\'94 171

Comment

Got it; bearing buddies, spares, fixaflat, grease gun, hubs... keep em comin. []

Comment

You will need something soft and shapely to sit in the passager seat.
                  The wind is free and you get alot better mileage.[br]West Point, VA[br]21\' Seabird, Suzuki 140[br]25\' Helms, Suzuki 5

Comment

I hear those things are abundant in FL, maybe I can pick one up at Marine Connection?[:x)]

Picked up 2 sets of bearing buddies, 2 cans of FixAFlat, a new trailer wire harness for the truck. I may pull a spare off of the trailer for my 17. Replaced rear brake shoes last nite. Can't wait! [][8D]

Comment

Does the trailer have disc brakes? If so, make sure you get a type of bearing grease that can handle the heat from the brakes.

Bring lots of $$ for processed dinosaur squeezings...

I don't know what you're driving, but make sure the engine cooling system is ready for a long high speed tow. Going to be HOT HOT in the next few days - and I don't mean soft shapely passengers...

Good luck and send PICS![]
                      [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

Destin, I do not believe the trailer has brakes. []

And I'm towing with a '95 Toyota V6 4x4. It's sure going to be interesting. []

Comment

Working...
                        X