flush engine with fresh water washdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flush engine with fresh water washdown

Can you flush your engines using a freshwater washdown system? I'm considering storing the next boat on a mooring and I'm wondering if this would be a benefit of having a freshwater system or if with a mooring I'd need to just suck it up and accept that the engines can't be flushed.

Also, I know newer motors have a setup for just putting the hose directly to the motor for flushing. When did this feature become common. Does any know the specific years for OMC/Merc/Yamaha?
    1973 23\' SeaCraft Tsunami w/ 300hp Etec[br]Norwalk, CT

My 94' Rude can be hooked up to a garden hose, and OMC released new engines in 93', so I'd assume that's when they added that feature. Cant speak to the other companies.
    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

I would have to say yes to using your fresh water resivour to flush your engines after using them. Im guessing about 4 or 5 gallons per flush would be enough. YOu can flush the omcs at the back of the engine where the telltale screws in. dave.
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Dave,

I keep my boat in the water, and after reviwing this post I have a question.

What would you think if I were to rig up a way to force the water back up the tell tale of my old Evinrude?
        1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

Think I’ll put in a few more bits of information on this topic. If you run your engine in salt water, it is a great idea to use some kind of salt-water neutralizers like the product Salt Terminator. I have been using this product for some time and I can say it’s the best out on the market. My motor shows no salt corrosion what so ever. Salt Terminator can be purchased with an applicator that hooks directly to any garden hose and dispenses the product automatically in the correct mixture. It also works great for washing down the boat or fishing equipment.
          01\' Mako BayShark 2100[br]200 Optimax[br]Lakeland Fl.

Comment

NEVER FLUSH YOUR OUTBOARD BECAUSE ITS A HASSLE? REACH NO FURTHER!!! AVOID COSTLY REPAIRS FROM SALT DAMAGE. BUY MY OUTBOARD MOTOR BACKFLUSHER (T.M.). WORKS GREAT ON BOTH TWO AND FOUR STROKE ENGINES. MERCURY, O.M.C. JOHNSON / EVINRUDE, YAMAHA, SUZUKI, FORCE / CHRYSLER, HOMELITE BEARCAT, ETC- FITS MOST OUTBOARDS 2HP THROUGH 300HP WITH "TELL-TALES" OR "WATERPUMP" INDICATORS (PISSERS). COMMON WATER PRESSURE UNSEATS THERMOSTAT(S) PLUS GOES THROUGH BYPASS AND COMES OUT WATER PICK UP-GIVES YOUR OUTBOARD A COMPLETE AND THOUROUGH FLUSH-IT ALSO IS VERY HANDY FOR PUMPING IN ANTIFREEZE FOR FOURSTROKES WHEN WINTERIZING THE BLOCK, ETC-DEVELOPED BY A MASTER MARINE MECHANIC- *** 5 YEARS FIELD TESTED TRIED AND TRUE !!! WORKS OFF A COMMON GARDEN HOSE. SIMPLE TO INSTALL AND USE- SAFE- JETTED FOR SPECIFIED PRESSURE. *** REVERSES WATER FLOW.-NO MORE WONDERING IF YOUR WATERPUMP INDICATOR IS CLOGGED !!!- FLUSHES IMEDIATELY!-PATENTED IDEA LETS YOU FLUSH YOUR MOTOR IN OR OUT OF THE WATER.-WORKS WITH MOTOR SHUT OFF (NOT RUNNING).-WILL ALSO DISLODGE MUD, SILT, SPIDER NESTS, MUD DAUBER WASP NESTS OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT DECIDES TO MAKE A HOME IN YOUR COOLING SYSTEM !!!-NO MORE WORRYING IF EARMUFFS ARE GOING TO FALL OFF.- NON-OBTRUSIVE AND FAILSAFE. OVER 6000 SATISFIED CUSTOMERS SO FAR!!! HAVE THE OPTION THAT NEW OUTBOARD OWNERS HAVE BEEN ENJOYING! - TRY ONE! A GREAT GIFT FOR FRIEND, FAMILY OR PAL. COMES WITH CUSTOM INSTRUCTIONS, ALL MARINE HARDWARE, PAN SIDE ATTACHMENT, AND VALVED HOSE SIDE COUPLER.- LET ME KNOW YOUR MAKE, MODEL AND YEAR.-FITTING AND JET SIZE MAY VARY-Tell me model and year of your engine. $25.00 each $8.00 shipping USA only.

I ACCEPT PAY PAL

Comment

Tell us more about this flusher Tony.
              \'81 21\' CC Mako[br]Beaufort, NC

Comment

Working...
              X