Almost bracketed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost bracketed

I think I am the owner of a Gil Bracket and I'm waiting for a phone call back on when to pick it up. I went out on the boat again tonight and I'm convinced that I will never own a boat with a cut transom, so the bracket is rapidly moving up on the list of priorities. After researching for the past week, there are many 17-19 boats running V6 motors with brackets so my 20 should do just fine. If I ever get to mount the 225 in my signature (same weight as the 200 Yamaha I'm currently running) add the t-top over the winter combined with the bracket, I'll be one happy person when the ground thaws next spring.

D-
    Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Hi Dave,

Excellent Choice! I think you will be pleased.

Making the cut out transom gone is a great idea. After having mine, I don't think I could go back.

One thing though, now that I am getting use to the boat, it does tend to porpoise more with the bracket. I have purchased some Bennett trim tabs and Bennett ATC, (Auto Trim Control)for Annie2, but haven't installed them yet.

At first, I didn't think that Annie2 porpoised more with the brackett, but now, I am sure it does. I can barely touch the trim on the motor before she starts a bouncin'.

Are you running trim tabs?
    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Careful with the "Gil Bracket" not to steal your dream but theres a reason why you dont see many around anymore!!I f its what i think it is ,its an open set of tubes and really creates alot of splash up and around motor..unless your stealing it and its a freswater boat ,its my opinon it creates alot more "Wear" on an engine..not to piss off any Gil- bracket owners ..A solid bracket is a tool that makes the boat alot "Bigger"and has a function other than extending engine and closing cockpit!!you can stand on it and makes a great swim platform!!
      1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

What I meant was , excellent choice adding a brackett. I am not aware of any Gil brackett issues, but Cap'n Andy is on the water lots more than me.

bc
        Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

What Capt Andy is reffering to is the old style of Gill bracket. It was in service around 1985 when bracket's were first comming into effect. It was built useing tubing. They rusted out.

If this is what you are thinking of? Don't waste you money or time.

Their newer style doesn't add a lot of flotation to the boat and you need the flotation to keep the scupper's above the waterline.

The latter Gil bracket's are built like the rest. Alum box. Yet most of the Gil bracket's I've seen are just a single box w/ no extra flotation or swim platform.

Old Style Gil

Comment

Man Bobby you got a pic of everything huh??? How bout some pics of the ready to Float X-shark[][][]
            Richard[br]Panama City,FL[br]Currently Looking for a MAKO[br]America needs Obamacare like Nancy Pelosi needs a halloween mask[br]

Comment

Eddie hasn't upgraded my project page's. There's not a lot to see that is new right now. Lot's of wiring going on.

It's Super Hot in the shop now, so it's going slow.

Ypu can have all the fan's in the shop blowing, but that doesn't get any air moving inside the consoles.

Comment

I know how that is,at least you have a shop,to at least shade you from the sun. I'm gonna be doing the ole move the batteries under the console this weekend, and I have no shade so it's gonna be a hot one in Santa Rosa Beach,
                Richard[br]Panama City,FL[br]Currently Looking for a MAKO[br]America needs Obamacare like Nancy Pelosi needs a halloween mask[br]

Comment

I wish I had a shop too. My problem right now is all the scattered rain and thunderstorms. Mixed in with Murphy's Law and it really is an annoyance. Whenever I seem to have time to work on the boat it rains. Strangely, whenever I'm doing honey do's it stops....[!] I'm taking a change with my home-owners association right now by just leaving the boat parked in my driveway. It's been 4 days now and I'm only allowed to park it there overnight.
                  Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Home owners association, that a sore subject in my book, I figure if they make my payment they can tell me how long I can park my property on my propery,, Just my opinion

Comment

quote:

As posted by Wart, the Gil bracket is the newer type and in great shape. Came off a boat smaller than my 20.

D-
                      Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

quote:

Are you running trim tabs?

Bob,

I took the tabs off, but decided to put them back on before I launched the boat. I bedded them, but that will not help was is already wet inside. I wanted to put the transom job off until next winter, but you guys and all this talk about brackets gave me the bug.

I think I will be very happy and I can start planning when the boat comes out of the water in the fall.

D-

Comment

I've seen several manufactures use those brackets lately on their smaller boats. I guess to help increase performance and ride. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a plateform. The plateform would make for a lot safer er "plateform" to sit on if you had to do any service to the motor while out at sea. Than again, I guess if it's free than it's money well spent.
                          Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by HungOne

The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a plateform. The plateform would make for a lot safer er "plateform" to sit on if you had to do any service to the motor while out at sea. Than again, I guess if it's free than it's money well spent.

From their website, it looks like the platfrom is an option that slides/bolts/snaps into grooves on the sides of the bracket.
                            88 Mako 171, 115 E-TEC, [br]85 Mako 285, Twin 250 Yamahas [br]Annapolis, MD[br][IMG]

Comment

Working...
                            X