1977 23' Repower Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 23' Repower Question

This is sort of an offshoot of my other thread regarding transom weight limits (however, I can't find a whole lot of info out there)...

I am replacing my twin 115 92 'rudes and am considering going with twin 150's if possible. Currently my engines weigh approx 310# each. The engines I'm considering are the 150 ETECS and 150 Yam. HPDI's. These come in at 419 and 475 pounds respectively. Is this way too big a jump in weight?? As far as I know the transom is very solid. I'd like to keep twins but am not totally against a single engine if that's the only way to get a boost in HP.

Has anyone ever seen a 23' powered with twin 150's?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
    1977 23\' twin 115 rudes[br]New Orleans, LA

Archie,

Is your main goal to add horsepower? What is the motivation to not go back with 115s?

The model 23 you have is only rated for 250 hp and if you are not adding a bracket thereby adding length you could have some insurance problems with over powering. They also have 130 Etecs which are 369 lbs each but you would still be adding around 120lbs to the transom and you would be 10hp overrated.
    Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

Archie - I do not know alot about that model boat as far as horsepower, weight, transom, ect..., however I have heard that yamaha is going to can the HPDI line. My in-laws were told by dealer (after 2nd new power head) that yamaha is done, and uncle also heard same rumor. I know problems have been w/250's, therefore I don't know if it will effect you but I would research before that kind of investment.
      \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
      \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I am just looking into the possibility of adding 150's. I have not ruled out going with the 115's (or something in between). I would like to add a few more mph to my cruising speed but am not looking for a speed demon, mind you.

I also am aware of the insurance consequences. At this point I'm just looking at what my options may or may not be as far as physical limitations go. Weight, for me, will be the biggest determining factor for deciding between twins/single/4 strokes.

I know there's a million repowering threads, too. I have an idea of which engine setup I want already. The question is which engine setup can I actually have without endangering the structural integrity of the boat.
        1977 23\' twin 115 rudes[br]New Orleans, LA

Comment

Archie,

After looking at the 115 vs 130 Etec a little more closely the weight is the same. The 20" is 369lbs and the 25" is 375lbs. The Mako website shows you have a 25" transom.

In regards to the physical limitations of the transom in a boat that old would probably have to be determined on a case by case basis. I don't think you can make a blanket statement on all 1977 23' that they can handle X lbs. It is largely determined by how the boat was maintained.
          Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

I personally wouldnt do it, simply because of waterline/scupper issues. With that much weight off the back, the boat will sit in the water badly, and the scuppers will surely be under the waterline at rest. This is not what I want in a boat, and I dont think it particularly seaworthy.

I'd opt for a single 250, or a pair of 115s (though here the 4 stroke weight difference may still cause problems).

Why are you replacing the rudes?
            ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Archie-

I'd go with a single 225 or 250hp. Less weight, less maintanence, etc. As far as speed is concerned, expect about mid 40's with the 225hp....and about 50mph with the 250hp.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Reel Raider

Archie,

The 20" is 369lbs and the 25" is 375lbs. The Mako website shows you have a 25" transom.

Don't believe the Mako archives! This boat has a 20" transom. Trust me, I learned the hard way.
                \'91 231 \"Tracy Lee\" (formerly known as TRIDENT)[br]Moored in Buzzard\'s Bay

Comment

Talk to someone in the know about those smaller etecs...the 130s may be closer to 150s than you think and the weight isnt much different than what you have now.

I say this because I know the current etec 200s are putting out 230hp at the prop. They will be called '200 HO' in '06, and they're coming out with a lighter, smaller block that is 200 at the prop to compete with the 4 strokes.

Those 130s may get you close to where you want to be
                  1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by archie

This is sort of an offshoot of my other thread regarding transom weight limits (however, I can't find a whole lot of info out there)...

I am replacing my twin 115 92 'rudes and am considering going with twin 150's if possible. Currently my engines weigh approx 310# each. The engines I'm considering are the 150 ETECS and 150 Yam. HPDI's. These come in at 419 and 475 pounds respectively. Is this way too big a jump in weight?? As far as I know the transom is very solid. I'd like to keep twins but am not totally against a single engine if that's the only way to get a boost in HP.

Has anyone ever seen a 23' powered with twin 150's?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

This is SUPPOSED to be a confusing experience...

1- MORE than one Governmental agencies are involved... AND...

2- There's enough "old sea dog tales" and opinions out there to fill a flotilla of frieghters the size ot he Exxon Valdez !
                    Have you gone to the link site I had responded to, in your last post about transom weight limits? It's a bit confusing, but after you wade through the BS, it does provide the answer regarding weight limits... What it doesn't do, is tell you whether anyone else has been successful/happy with the swap you're trying...

Good Luck... OB1
                    Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Working...
                    X