Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Speakers

Hello all,

Back from the wedding, and I am fortunate enough to have received among other things a stereo and 6 1/2" speakers for the rig. I'm fine with the wiring and such, but wanted some input on an ideal spot for mounting the speakers. I see alot of boats with speakers on each side of the console, but I've never dabbled in cutting through glass so I'm nervous. Other options include right below the helm, on the vertical console surface that faces aft (this area is 1/4" starboard, so that would be an easier job, but less ideal, sound-wise). I'd love to run something up to the bow, but that probably extends beyond the scope of what I'm up for.

So, looking for recommendations on where to mount, and tips for completing the job.
    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

My marine speakers are mounted in my boat. Not in my den or living room. As such they are down near the deck below the deck lamps on the port and starboard sides of my CC. I have no complaints.
    2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

Did you install?

I am now thinking about getting some box speakers and securing to my t-top or e-box.
      ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

I have them mounted under my console, facing aft. I wouldn't do that again. When you are sitting in front of the console, they have to be cranking to hear them.

It was the easiest spot though.

I was thinking of mounting another set in the front of the console, but figured thaye would get kicked.

I guess the best place would be either side like Mist-rest has them.
        1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

One of the companies make's enclosure's for under a T-top. I've seen them ,but can't find it now.

This would also make a good project for experminting with some Divenacell to make some custom enclosure's.

Heat form it and cover it with fiberglass.

Starboard is heavy and you can't glue it.

Example: Overhead console.

http://www.classicmako.com/projects/xshark/bw22.htm

Comment

That would be a great option Wart. I'm thinking short-term right now, as I only have about another 8 weeks of boating left up here, and I want to get something working this weekend. Over the winter however, I may explore something like that...

Comment

I have mine installed on the back side of the console and they sound good as long as you aren't moving to fast, and they you just have to turn up the volume if you *really* want to hear it. I plan on installing another pair just in the front opening of my under the gunnel rod holders and then run the wire back to the console via the rigging tubes. I've seen another boat done this way and it sounded really good.

At rest mine sound really good and I am really happy. To cut the opening, you need a dremel tool and a VERY steady hand. They make an attachment to make a nice round opening but I did free hand and it worked fine. Keep in mine that the flange of the speaker is going to hide any small imperfections.

PS - congratulations on the wedding!!!
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
              1985 Mako 20c - sold
              Fort Walton Beach, FL
              http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

here is a picture of my speakers:

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                1985 Mako 20c - sold
                Fort Walton Beach, FL
                http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I just finished mounting my speakers. I mounted 2 facing me on the console and 2 facing me again on the sides.

Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

I have mine installed on the back side of the console and they sound good as long as you aren't moving to fast, and they you just have to turn up the volume if you *really* want to hear it. I plan on installing another pair just in the front opening of my under the gunnel rod holders and then run the wire back to the console via the rigging tubes. I've seen another boat done this way and it sounded really good.

At rest mine sound really good and I am really happy. To cut the opening, you need a dremel tool and a VERY steady hand. They make an attachment to make a nice round opening but I did free hand and it worked fine. Keep in mine that the flange of the speaker is going to hide any small imperfections.

PS - congratulations on the wedding!!!

Sounds like this may be an option for me...how easy is cutting through glass when compared with say plywood?

Comment

I cut out my holes with a dremel as well. I saw the attachment for cutting holes but also did mine free style with the guard in place. Used the wood cutting bit to cut the bulk of the hole and than my ceramic bit to radius it out a little bit at a time to fit. Replace the wood bit often and it will cut easily.
                      Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I put mine on either side of my console and have had no problems yet.
                        73 Mako 17\'[br]\"We\'re all in the same boat\"

Comment

Mine were there when I bought the boat. IF I was installing them I would have put them in the same place. They sound good no matter where you are on the boat. I have enough crap on the t top with 6 rod holders, AM/FM, VHF, GPS antennas, outriggers, raydome, fore and aft deck lamps, all around light, and my horn.
                          2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

I put mine on either side of the console towards the top. Yes, you have to turn them up way loud even if you're idling.

Drill a pilot hole and use your jigsaw, and learn to be VERY comfortable holding the drill 1/2" off of your fresh paint with your fingers [].
                            \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Console mounting is probably the easier of the options, and gives the speaker an enclosure for lower extension. If you go this route, mout them on the sides, but BELOW the level of the gunwales. That way you'll get dispersion of the music throughout the boat. For next season, add a small amplifier (40W x 2 RMS will do); it'll make the biggest difference in the quality and power of your music. []
                              Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X