Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Options wanted

Hi all,

I've got a '79 21ft CC with a 225 'rude on it and I've got steering trouble. The system that it came with is the basic Teleflex stuff. Needless to say, it is a stone cold bear to steer. hydraulic steering is not an option at this time since I've already put more money into my classic mako than anticipated this year What are my other options? Would a "No Feed Back" type system be appropriate for this combination? Anything else? I've tried to research it on the Teleflex-Marine site and retailers but they only state ..."good for boats up to ... with motors of ...hp." All well and good, but are they any help or will it be more of grunting through turns when on plane?

Thanks,

ka
    1979 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1987 Mako 231/1997 Yamaha 225. Now the 231 wears an 01 225 Yamaha 4 stroke. [br]Cape Coral, FL

You already know the answer to get a better steering. Hyd!

Your really pushing it with the HP you have on a manual steering system.

OK pull the cable out of the tilt tube on the motor and clean the tilt tube. Run a 12ga shotgun brush thru it on a drill motor with lot's of WD 40 sprayed in there. Put the steering cable back in the tilt tube with a thin coat of grease on it. That should free it up some.

Start saving for hyd system. Don't put anymore money in that system.

Comment

Best deal on hyd system is Teleflex bought thru Surpluss Unlimited.

Comment

I second that.... 225 is huge for cable steering. BTW, what size wheel do you have? A bigger steering wheel will make it easier. Hyd. steering is definately the way to go. Once you go hydraulic, you'll never go back.
        Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Yeah, that is what I thought. How hard are these to install? Is it something that I could tackle by myself or is there gonna be a trip to the yard in my future?

ka
          1979 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1987 Mako 231/1997 Yamaha 225. Now the 231 wears an 01 225 Yamaha 4 stroke. [br]Cape Coral, FL

Comment

Hydrolic is nice yes, but I am one of the ones that also cant afford it right now. I have the older morse/teleflex system and its works ok. You might want to go to the teleflex websight and gather information on whats available for your application. dave.
            [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I know that I can get "what's available" from them, I just come here to find out what is working for other folks. Saves a lot of time and narrows down the search a bit.

thanks,

ka
              quote:

Originally posted by michigan dave

Hydrolic is nice yes, but I am one of the ones that also cant afford it right now. I have the older morse/teleflex system and its works ok. You might want to go to the teleflex websight and gather information on whats available for your application. dave.

Comment

What do you mean by "It's a bear to steer"?

Is it tight all the time, does it torque to one side if you let go of the wheel, is there play in the wheel ...?
                \'81 21\' CC Mako[br]Beaufort, NC

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Walt_S

What do you mean by "It's a bear to steer"?

Is it tight all the time, does it torque to one side if you let go of the wheel, is there play in the wheel ...?

At idle speed, it steers just fine. As boat speed increases, the wheel becomes increasingly difficult to move. I attribute this to the flow drag over the skeg and the torque of the prop. The steering WILL fall off to one side without any input, however I attribute this to torque. I think I've got the little fin tab adjusted about right.

There is very little play in the wheel. My main concern is that the wife refuses to drive the boat when it is on speed. This is really cutting into my tubing and skiing time.

My plan is this...No more Starbuck's...I should have that hydraulic steering by the end of the year ($4.00 X 30 =$120.00 X 4 =$480.00) OK, perhaps by next spring.

ka

Comment

Kingairpilot - I did all suggestions warthog made in previous response on old boat before total replacement. It was froozen in the cable and it was about $15 more for whole setup as apposed to just cable. On my Mako I have a Johnson 200 w/ teleflex no feedback and have no complaints. My buddy said he likes my steering better than his hydraulic, however when I do repower (one day) I will upgrade to hydraulic. You can never spend enough money on a boat. Good Luck.
                    \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
                    \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

I've got to saw Warthog and Hung are wrong on this one. You can put a Teleflex 4.3 NFB system on that boat and it will perform very well. I put the system on my boat attached to a 225 and I could not be happier with it. I honestly see no reason to go with hydrolic steering on a rig with a single 225 on it. My steering is just as easy to turn as if it had hydrolic steering and the NFB system prevents the wheel from turning when you let go just like hydrolic steering. The best part is I could replace my entire steering system 4 times for what the equivilant hydrolic system would cost.

PS Hydrolic systems are by ne means problem free either.

Comment

KINGAIR

If you have high speed torque problems, and you pull to starboard, a torque tab from Land and Sea will help. It attaches to your skeg, and basically acts like your tab, just deeper in the water. The bass boat guys use them all the time. Best part: its cheap.[] www.land-and-sea.com click on marine products.

Still no substitute for hydraulic steering..Save your pennies for the Seastar.

fix
                        1997 Mako 223 Walkaround[br] Cape Cod, MA

Comment

Mako228, I realize everyone will have their own experiences but in my case when I had NFB mechanical steering on my 200hp motor, it was work no matter what. It may have been setup wrong in my case but I never had my NFB system truley be NFB. You can adjust the fin to make it easier at high speed but low speed tracking was affected. There is always a trade off with those things. I guess it's also depends on how much you can tolerate too. All I know is once I went hydraulic, I never looked back and have never been happier with my steering.
                          Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

the seastar hydraulic steering kits can be found on ebay for 2 to 3 hundred dollars less the regular retail from say a westmarine or basspro shops

just a little heads up, for those who dont already know[]
                            Bradenton, FL[br]1970 Mako 220[br][br]

Comment

Hung,

How long ago was that? The NFB steering systems have come a long way and the 4.3 system has only been around a few years. The 4.3 system is made for high horsepower applications. It is designed to give you alot more leverage when you turn the wheel than older systems. My steering feels almost the same as hydrolic at all speeds. I also use a small steering wheel on my boat and it is still easy to turn.

I think the opinions on mechanical steering are based on the clumsy old systems of the past. I had a Big-T system on my boat before I upgraded to the new system and even with a 15 inch steering wheel it was alot of work to keep the boat streight. With the old system If I let go of the wheel the boat would spiral into 360s. The modern NFB systems solve these problems and the 4.3 NFB system even makes it easy to handle a 225.

Comment

Working...
                              X