Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 211 Mako

Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself and ask some questions about a Mako. I’ve been reading this board for the last few hours and I’m amazed with all the great information in this forum. I’m considering buying a 1991 211 with a 2000 Yamaha O66 225. The motor looks great with only 116 hours on it according to the hobbs meter. The boat used to be a county sheriffs boat. So the wirring is a little bit of a mess. The old wires from the blue lights and other police equipment is still their, wish the blue lights were still their, that could be some fun! The hull was repainted white, apparently it had to be done due to the sheriff stripes and markings on the boat. The hull looks great but I haven’t tried to tap the transom yet with a plastic hammer. I checked the access panel under the console and it all looked good, no gas smells but a little wet. The floor seemed solid but the only thing I wasn’t sure of was a crack in the floor by the rear bait well. It started from the upper corner of the bait well and went about an inch forward on a diagonal. It didn’t seem to be a stress crack but I’m not exactly sure about it. Other then that it’s missing the vertical anchor cover in the bow. I’m hoping I can find a new one for it. I’m supposed to sea trial the boat tomorrow. Just wondering if theirs anything else I can check to see if that crack is a big deal? I didn’t really see any stress cracks inside the rest of the boat. Also just wondering how the 211 rides. I plan on doing a lot of intercostals cruising and fishing outside the inlet in Fort Lauderdale. How do the handle the ocean? It seems to have low freeboard compared to my 87 23 CC wellcraft fisherman. Anyway thanks for reading my post and any advice would be great. By the way the boat also includes a decent trailer and their asking $14,000.

Thanks,

Lwick74
    1991 211 W/ 2001 225 Yamaha O66[br]Hollywood FL

I went on the water test yesterday. Everything looked good until we started driving in to the boat ramp. We were on bicane bay and were going with the wind. I went to WOT and the boat started porpusing. I tried to adjust the trim tabs but the right trim tab blew a fuse. Anyway the boat rode well when I was into the wind and WOT. I'm wondering if it was porpusing due to the trim tab position that I couldnt change? Maybe the wrong prop on the boat too. Does anyone elese have a problem with their 211 purposing? Should this be something to worry about? I think I can get the boat for $12500 for 1991 211 t-top 2000 225 yamaha O66 and trailer. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Larry

Comment

Larry,

I own a 1989 211 that I just purchased this year. My comments are as follows. Great boat!!! Low Transom so expect some water over the back if you are fishing and your stern is into the wind. Boat rides great in rough water but does porpose without trim tabs. I normally leave my tabs almost all the way down and the bow still rides plently high to keep you very dry. No issues with stress cracks. I purchased mine for $16K w/ a 2003 Merc 225 (30 hours), all new canvas and electronics and a decent trailer.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for writting back. I figured it was the trim tabs that were making it porpose. I have a family member that owns a prop shop un in NY, I'm going to call them and see if I need a different prop. I'm thinking maybe that could help or add a dolphin fin to the motor. The boat's all mine know, she took my offer for $12,500 so I guess i'll be on here alot!

Thanks for the info

Larry

Comment

Larry,

Glad to here the good news. When you review the propo situatio I would be interested in what you find. I have the same HP so maybe I also have the wrong prop. I will try to find out what my prop size is this weekend and let you know.

Good Luck.

By the way I am also looking at adding splash guards to my transom next week so I will let you know how it goes and if it helps with the water over the transom. You might be interesed in the other topic on this website on this issue.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I'll let you know what I find. Hopefully I'm going to pick the boat up tonight. The first thing I need to figure out is the T-Top. I have low bridges so the t-top isn't going to work. They gave me a brand new bini top so I may use that for now..

Larry

Comment

Hey lwick74. You have mail.
              -Bizz[br]1985 20C[br]Charlotte, NC

Comment

Larry,

I am interested to know what brand of T-Top you have and whether or not it is something that you might be interested in selling. I am looking for a t-top for my 211.

Let me know

Jeff

Comment

Well I may have major problems. I just got the paper work sent to me and some things dont look good. The boat is supposed to be a 1991 211 with a 2000 225 yamaha...Well according to the sierial number on the paper work the hull number ends with H788. To me this means a 1988 hull. Alos the title says 1991 but it has model listed as 221. I called Mako and they agreed the hull number I have is a 1988. I'm on the phone with yamaha trying to find out the truth about the motor. Lucky for me I still have the check!

Larry

Comment

Larry,

Good Luck.

By the way the Mako website has some good specs on old model boats if you need to cross check anything.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Larry-

Make sure the numbers on the hull match the numbers on the title...this will also tell you what the model is....221, 211, etc.

If this stuff does not match up, call the Florida DMV and ask for their help. They should be able to run the Hull ID# and tell you who owned, what model year it is, etc.

Next, I would try to find out from the seller, what the sheriff department owned the boat previously...and try to give them a call to verify the story.

Once you have done all of the above and have verfied everything, I would go back to the seller and renegotiate deal (especially if boat is smaller or older than originally thought at time of sale).

Lastly, be sure to run a serial number check on the engine. You dont want to buy a boat that has a hot motor on it.

Good luck.

Ed

Comment

Well the hull nember matches the title. They told me that the state of florida bought the boat from mako in 1991. They said that mako sold them a 1988 hull but tittled it a 1991. on the title its listed as 1991 but the model number is a 221. I have the hull number, is their anyway to tell from it what modle it really is. I know they didnt sell 221's in 1988. I'm guessing its a 21B but who know's. Also I reseached the engine and it turns out it's not a 2000 but a 2001. The worst thing is my bank never caught any of this!

Not sure what to do next,

Larry

Comment

By the way the HIN has the letter "E" in it. Could this be a model number for mako?

Comment

Working...
                          X