scupper__trouble__"86"____17' standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scupper__trouble__"86"____17' standard

I love my Mako 17 as much as I love to fish. Only one little problem with this boat, I don't like the fact that the scuppers are about 3/4"

above the deck. That little bit of water on the deck when cleaning the boat and the dirt that collects really pisses me off. Am I being too picky here? Is there a way to sovle this? Larger scuppers?

Lower them? Or should I just forgetaboutit and go fishing

I will be greatful for Any advise.

Thanks

Lucky,

In my 17 standard,there is a small deck well that is serviced by a 1100 gph bilge pump between the two scuppers.the scuppers are below the deck in the small well.This works great for spraying wind driven dust and debris out on a regular basis.I like a clean cockpit,so I don't think your being to picky.The bilge pump connected to this well drains out of the port side and is installed next to the regular below deck bilge.This drain well serves two main purposes, 1.In case of swamp over the trasomn or fishing in the rain. 2. spraying dust and debris out , and keeps the water collecting in the well so the pump remains primed when in use,Hope this helps

[8D]
    1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Comment

My deck layout is the same as Ricky's, however, I've seen later models that do not have the small recess in the back.

Ricky, could you be more exact as to where and how that bilge pump is run? is the pump actually in the bilge?

Tell me if this is something like what you have: There is a hose that runs from that small recess down to an enclosed compartment in the bilge (maybe a small bucket or a milk jug or something) that the bilge pump sits in. The bilge pump then pumps overboard through a thru-hull. That way the water draining from the deck passes through this closed line and not just into the bilge for the regular pumps to handle.

There is a hole in my deck between the livewells the previous owners had used to run battery cables. Right now the only way for my boat to bail itself is to let the water run into the bilge and let the automatic 500gph attwood or the manually activate 1250 gph Rule handle it.
      \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Thanks for the photo, Mine don't look anything like that.

The deck is flat right to the transom. I'll post pics as soon as I have time to figure out how to. the water line is one inch under the scuppers.

What are your fish box covers made of? I use to have teak plywood

covers that just sat on top until someone took them right after I refinished them.

Comment

Your waterline is below your scuppers? Consider yourself blessed. If you feel lucky and skilled enough, drill another through-hull that will drain your deck. I wish my boat were self-bailing.

I believe Ricky's hatches are Starboard. I made mine out of cutting board (cheap and easy), but they get and stay dirty.
          \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Mubiks,You are right The box covers are starboard,as for the deck drain ,it is mounted on the center stringer and drains through bilge hose out the side and is installed right next to the below deck Drain on the port side.You can see where it drains in this pic.It doesn't drain into the bilge unless of coarse I've got a leak.

1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Comment

Lucky,

Is your 17 and Angler? Do you have a rear casting deck?

SB
              Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

Working...
              X