Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me Mako 17

Hello all,

This is my first post here and question. I have found a 17' Mako that the current owner is will to let me take it off his hands. It was a boat the that belonged to his Dad and he nor I have any idea of what year might be. It has been in storage for the last 10 years and from the pictures I have attached, it needs a bath bad. The hull and floor all test out to be in great shape apart from a few dings in the bow from from what looks like when it was being put on the trailer and the gell coat still has a little shine left in it. I know I will have to repower it being that the motor is a very old Evenrude 85 but the steering is still free and moves well. Does anyone have an idea of what year this boat might be? I looked for the hull number but could not find one but it might be just under so much dirt I can not see it.

Thanks,

Gary

Corpus Christi, TX[br]Former Owner of a 1970 Mako 17

Gary,

That is an awesome find, especially for the price!! The hull number might be in two places: 1) on the right side of the stern, on a little silver tab that is rivited to the boat or 2) on a larger tab that is on the console. These are the two places that i have seen then anyway.

Do you know if it is an Angler or a Standard? What plans do you have for her?

Also, to help us help you, please put your location in your signature.
    Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

Hi , I am new here to but it looks like my 78 / 17 Angler. Do you know if it came with bow rails standard?

Ed
      78 Angler 17 / 98 Yamaha 115 Sarasota Florida.

Comment

Ed,

I am sure that they did come with bow rails standard. There are some like the 18 back country and the 151, 161, and 181 that i don't think had them. I know our 74' Angler had one and we removed it.
        Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

I am not sure if it had rails or not nor do I know if it is a standard or angler. I saw it for the frist time a few hours ago. The current owner did not even know what boat stall it was in. I know the first thing to do Saterday is get some new wheels and tires for the trailer so I can pull it out of its tomb. I would really like to restore it and from the looks of it so far, that should not have to be much. I should have a better idea of what I have once I get it in the sunlight and then i will decide what to do. I did get the serial number off of the motor and from the Evinrude site it looks like at least the motor is a 72'.

Gary

Comment

Give her a good going over with a cleaner/wax, or if its stubborn

a fiberglass rubbing compound. You might be surprised how much shine is still left in that gelcoat. Mako had a good gelcoat back then. Hope the tank can be drained easy. you will have some nasty stuff in there for sure. Those old 85 horse omc's were workhorses. Take some pics of that next./ This crowd thrives on pics.

I love old barn finds. Great topic. dave.
            [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

garyeng

I found the numbers in 3 different places on my 1980 17. The transom plate,the anchor locker,and under the portside rubrail. All the way back where the rubrail meets the transom. Be very careful when checking under the rubrail because the #'s were on a paper tag and it just crumbled when I touched it. I was able to read the #'s.The last 2 digits were the year.If there is a series of boxes across the deck you have an Angler,If the there is 1 box on port and one box star,aft,then you have a standard.Hope this helps.I know one thing ,You'll be happy with that littlle boat.Post some more pix of the interior.
              1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Comment

I've also heard that there is a riveted tag inside the anchor locker, but I didn't find one myself.

Standard: Two fishboxes in the aft corners of the boat, each about 24" long.

Angler: Fishboxes on either side are connected by a larger one creating a bench across the back of the boat.

There also were two or three types of "custom from the dealer" options for the console. One was a regular height console with a seat built into the front, while the other was very short and had no seat. This was the "guide" console, which mine came with. Anyone over 6' will have a problem with a console this short.
                \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Hey Gary,

I'm also in Corpus. I have a 1994 171. Whereabouts is this boat if you don't mind me asking?

Good Luck,

Wolfram
                  Corpuscruiser[br]Northern AL[br]\'94 171

Comment

I found a mfg date on the tank when I took the small access panel off under the console. Tank was made a year earlier than my '77. May help in your search...?

I would love to bring that one to the car wash!

Dan
                    \'77 Mako 17, \'86 Johnson 140[br]TC, Michigan

Comment

I called Texas Parks and Wildlife this morning and found out the boat is a 70' model. From the information everyone has provided I know now the boat is an angler. I have to also call the guy who owns the boat later today and tell him I will take the boat. Then the adventure will begin, looking forward to it. I know the boat has a new stainless steel tank too so that is also good news. I will post more pictures over the weekend after I get her out and all washed up.

Gary

Comment

Gary,

That is great news!! Welcome to the Mako Family. My family has loved our 17 Angler and i am sure you will. Keep your eyes peeled for any "good deals" on other Makos.
                        Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

Welcome Gary,

If you can't already tell a bunch of guys with good information wanting to help. Just remember we like before, during, and after pictures.
                          Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Comment

Reel Raider

This is all good information for me as well. I have the console with the seat in the front. I am turning this into a project boat more every day so I will be posting some photos somewhere soon .

I agree this was an awesome find. My bow rails are off and going to stay off. I am considering some other changes such as eliminating the bait boxes that trail off the transom, and adding a large live well under seat up front. I am not sure how true I should stay to the original design. I would prefer a power pole on port and a trolling motor on starboard instead of the bait boxes. The original owner has also sugested re making the transom so it goes straight across and adding a jack plate. I have a poling platform also and use the boat mostly for flats fishing.

Any thoughts on stock vs custom ?

Thanks again

Ed
                            78 Angler 17 / 98 Yamaha 115 Sarasota Florida.

Comment

Lucky You!

I have an Angler with the guide console that was completely restored. You will be glad you inherited this hull. I fish this area a LOT and believe me ........... afisherman designed this boat! Perfect for family fun and economical too. Be careful not to add too much weight to the stern area. You can easily drop the transom below the scupper line. The self bailing on this model is great. Mine is getting new power this fall. Still deciding on new technology.

Be sure to post pics here!

Good Luck.
                              1973 \"Potter Built\" SeaCraft 21SF / 225HP Yamaha Savannah,Ga.

Comment

Working...
                              X