Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any 20s with full transom mod w/ bracket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any 20s with full transom mod w/ bracket?

I know this was not an option that Mako built, but I was wondering if anyone had performed the full transom modifcation on a Mako 20. If so, do you have any images? How big a motor (weight) are your running.

I'm just curious as this would solve my over the transom water issue in a sea.

D-
    Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Hi Dave,

Didn't do it to my Annie1, my last 1979 Mako 20, but if I did, I probably would have kept it.

A full transom conversion on a 20' would be very nice.

When I see boats without a full transom now, they look flawed to me. I mean , who would think that a cut out transom was a good idea? To me it's as poor a design as the fish boxes and battery boxes that use to be stern of Annie2.

Just my .02

Hope all is well,

BOb
    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Hi DTMackey.

Part of your over the transom/water issue may be due to overpowering. Do you know you are 25hp over? I checked Mako online and 1987 Mako 20 has a 200hp capacity. I am not familar with Yamaha's weights, but my Merc 200 is 398lbs. I do get water over the transom, but my scuppers in the splashwell handle it. My feet never get wet.I always attributted the water to the fact that I have a 20" transom.

I think your best bet is to trim some weight back aft..

Overpowering a modified vee boat with a bracket will not work well either..Too much hull out of the water.

Just an opinion....don't want to sound rude.

fix
      1997 Mako 223 Walkaround[br] Cape Cod, MA

Comment

Fixin

Your not rude at all and your point would be well taken, but the 225 I have uses the same block as the 200 that I still have and is not the newer 3.1L. The weight gain is about 8 lbs in total (200 to 225) which is more than offset by the 70+ lbs of batteries I moved from the transom area to the console. I think the difference between the oil resevoir being empty or full weighs more. In most seas the boat is fine, but if I pull my lobster traps the boat swings stern to and in a sea every inch of transom matters. Correction - I also have the 25" transom, not 20" as previously posted.

I'm looking to see if this has been done as I love the 22 with a bracket, but like the 20' size.

D-
        Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Fix,

The big difference in your 20 and dtmackey's is that yours has a splash well and his doesn't. I think the design change was made around 1980 or so. This is one of the reasons i am looking for a 70's 20 or 22 because both of those boats had a splash well unlike the 19 or 21.
          Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by dtmackey

I also have the 20" transom.

D-

dtmackey - are you sure? I thought the same thing until my lower unit went out and about an hour before buying a 20" lower unit on ebay I decided to double check by looking up my engine model number. It turned out to be a 25" motor and so is my transom. My transom has not been raised and is factory as I have the orginial reciepts for the boat and motor from the previous orginial owner.

Anyways, I've been watching out for a 20 with a full transom but have to see someone do it. I have seen a couple of 21's and larger, but I think these are more popular to close in since they are a deeper vee and usually more of an offshore designed hull.
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

quote:

Originally posted by dtmackey

I also have the 20" transom.

D-

dtmackey - are you sure? I thought the same thing until my lower unit went out and about an hour before buying a 20" lower unit on ebay I decided to double check by looking up my engine model number. It turned out to be a 25" motor and so is my transom.

Sailor - I stand corrected, I have a 25" transom and looked at my owners manual to confirm. I like not having the motor wel because the kids have easy access to the transom to jump in the water, but the negative is the water over the transom. I will most likely add some type of splash shields made from aluminum or Starboard when I pull the boat for the winter.

D-

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Annie2

Hi Dave,

A full transom conversion on a 20' would be very nice.

Just my .02

BOb

Thanks for the input Bob. I almost wish you had kept Annie 1 so I could take notes on how you would have done a full transom and your throughts. I figure I have another couple years before I need to worry about a transom replacement. When I had the tabs and motor off this spring I noticed water weeping from the holes. I may have many more years, but I would like to get to this before I really have to. The full transom thing is sticking in my mind due to the number that have performed this. I tend to agree with you that a transom cutout seems silly, but there must be a size of boat in which the jump to a full transom makes sense. 21 and up seems is an easy decision. I would not want to experiment on my 20 unless I get some very strong positive feedback.

D-

Comment

My 1980 Mako 20 had a 20" transom and always splashed water over but wasnt a real big deal. I had a 115 suzuki and 25 merc. on the back. the batteries were also back there. Sometimes at anchor when too many of us were at the stern it was worrisom dave.
                  [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Check out the Dusky website they have brackets on there 19's and 20's. They have a nice image gallery for there 203 Open Fisherman.

http://www.dusky.com
                    1975 Mako20 [br]Annapolis, MD

Comment

Dave,

Hope my ealier response didn't sound too forward. I'm not too sure why adding a bracket to a 20' would be an issue. I think it would improve the balance of the boat, handling and add lots of "dry" real estate to the stern. I am by no means as authority , but, having both a full transom and a cut out transom Mako
                      I understand that you don't want to do it unless it's necessary. If you have areas that are seeping, your already adding weight to the transom. Water will take the path of least resistance. The transom will become heavy, then soft then ..... I'm not sure how long the process takes, but....

The seeps can't be sealed now, that would just contain the water and if there is water in there when you pull the boat in the fall, it will freeeze and crack the transom gelcoat over the winter. I've seen that happen many times up here.

Hell, I'd add a bracket to a 17'. Now that would be cool. It's getting so that I like the idea of a smaller boat with a smaller more efficient outboard anyway. I don't run offshore too much anymore.

Bob
                      Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Hey Reel Raider,

Thanks for the info on my 20. I took a look at the design change an see the problem...no splashwell on the newer ones.They added the side compartments..I see. Could dtMackey possibly make a fold-down teak or star board splashwell?

dtMackey

I still feel you should seek out a deeper vee hull with a bracket. I think you will doing the watusi chine walk with a bracket. Consider the change in the center of bouyancy as well. Not to mention your engine will be doing a lot of swimming, bobbing up and down way out there.

Again, just my 2 cents.

fix
                        1997 Mako 223 Walkaround[br] Cape Cod, MA

Comment

Working...
                        X