Fuel / Water Separator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel / Water Separator?

My Mercury 115 ~'86 idles rough and hesitates when accelerating. Pumping the bulb usually solves the hesitation. I suspect poorly mixed or fouled fuel. I installed a new fuel separator this spring. Could that need to be replaced already? Any thoughts?

Tim

Tim, as recently discussed in several of the recent post about fuel and fuel line problems, start with the easiest first. Make sure all your connections are air tight and and your fuel line is in good condition. As for your fuel/water seperater, you may just need to empty it. Just unscrew the canister off like you would your car oil filter and drain the water out of it. Make sure before you put it back on that you rub some 2 cycle oil around the rubber gasket on top of the canister so you'll insure a good seal when you screw it back on. Start there and see what that does.
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

also check the primer ball, they can wear out quick if exposed to salt and sun.
      1987 231 with 200 Yamaha[br]Stuart, Fl

Comment

Heck, those primer balls can be bad right from the store. I hear those Tempo bulbs are the worst.
        \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

I was one of the ones that had a lot of trouble with NEW Tempo Primer bulbs this year - will now never buy another after market primer bulb again.

Mike
          1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Agreed, sometimes it does cost more for OEM replacements, but in the long run they are most definetly worth it
            Hugs Tug [br]2007 SteigerCraft 23\' Miami W/ 225 Suzuki[br]Former 1973, 23 Mako C/C with I/O[br]Mattituck[br]Long Island N.Y.

Comment

I changed the bulb (unfortuntely I had already purchased it from West Marine). I'll empty the filter this evening. Thanks very much for the suggestions.id="red">

Comment

Working...
              X