1976 Mako 17 Self Bailing Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Mako 17 Self Bailing Problem

My 1976 Mako 17 is self bailing when nobody is on board and it is floating. The problem is that at low tide, my boat sits on the bottom for roughly 4 hrs a day(2 hrs per low tide). If it is raining(med-hard) while the boat sits on the bottom, the water tends to flow to the bow and then when the tide comes in and it starts floating again, the water collects on deck in the bow. The weight of this water causes the bow to sit lower in the water and wont drain. Any thoughts/help anyone can suggest would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Greg[br]1976 17 Mako[br]Shark River, NJ

Greg, it's obvious what's wrong. [}] You don't have enough beer stacked in the aft cooler. Just kidding, is there any way to put a cover over the boat when not in use. I can't think of another solution short of either keeping the rain out, or adding weight to the stern. Maybe someone else has had this problem and can part with some wisdom. Don
    Don Flowers[br]Port Lavaca, Tx.[br]Mako 224 1985 \"Godspeed\"[br]Yamaha 175

Comment

dig a hole where the stern sits?
      \'79 20\'[br]savannah

Comment

This might be a silly idea, but it might be a little easier than digging that hole (still laughing at that one)-

Don't some bilge pumps kick on every so many minutes and if they sense no water, turn off immediately, but keep pumping if they sense water? If you set one of those on the low spot of the bow area when you moor, maybe it would pump off enough of the accumulation of rain water to allow the boat to re-balance itself for self-bailing. I'm thinking you don't need to pump out every last drop in the bow- just enough to lighten the load there. Once the self bailing starts working, the pump will again sense no water and just keep doing it's thing. Just a thought, however flawed it may be.[]

Win
        It\'s a Mako.[br]\'82 20B,\'90 E-150[br]Woodbridge, CT

Comment

Win, don't those style pumps use quite a bit of battery before long, and he would need to run wires and hose and such, and those pumps have too much torque. When they start they would twist unless attached to something but... when I had a dingy we kept a "D" cell battery water pump that we kept in the dink just for those rainy days. They are designed to be just set in a low spot, they are about 5 inches in diameter. They didn't pump much water, but they didn't need to. That might work for him. I looked it up in the Boatus catalogue. It's manufactured by Attwood, the number is model # 447235 The attwood # is attwo#4140 It pumps 200 GPH and will run for 5 hours on the "D" cell batteries. Just a thought, And it only costs $39.99. Has it's own flexible hose and built in switch. Don
          Don Flowers[br]Port Lavaca, Tx.[br]Mako 224 1985 \"Godspeed\"[br]Yamaha 175

Comment

Digging a hole is not as hard or humorous as it sounds. With the boat tied up and into the beginning of the ebb tide tilt the motor all the way down, start it, and put it in gear for 5 minutes or so. The propwash will act as a hydraulic dredge and you will have deeper water (hole) under the stern. I've been doing it for 20+ years and it works.

Sorry for the thumbnail but if I post the full size I get the dreaded red X

\'81 21\' CC Mako[br]Beaufort, NC

Comment

If the boat is sitting low in the bow while on the bottom, why not turn it around?

Stay away from the computerized bilge pumps. Yes, they cycle on and off at (two minute) intervals, and yes they will suck your battery dry.
              \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Thank you all for your input. I will experiment w/ all suggested ideas and see what works the best.

It's Yellowfin time in NJ and I am heading to the edge tonight. I'll report back on Fri.
                Greg[br]1976 17 Mako[br]Shark River, NJ

Comment

Working...
                X