salt water vs fresh water ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salt water vs fresh water ?

few weeks ago i got hold of a mako 23 inboard,the boat has alwaYS BEEN IN SALT WATER ,now i brought her to kentucky to fresh water .is there anything i need to change or get rid of that i really dont need she's a 360 inboard if that helps thanks makomike
    Louisville,Ky.40216 100 yards from the ohio river.1975 MAKO 360 mopar inboard,19chaparral,18bryant(gone) now a 190 baja islander

well i think most inboard makos weren't fwc at least the ones i looked at weren't. so your not really gonna need to loose any thing. where did it come from?
    Holden Beach, North Carolina

Comment

Nothing I can think of.

Hmmmm! Change the zinc's.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...gcorrosion.htm

Zinc or aluminum for salt water: If you are a saltwater boater, you should install zinc anodes to prevent galvanic corrosion on the engine and underwater parts of your boat. Look for aluminum anodes as a possible replacement because they last longer while providing the same level protection as zinc.

Magnesium for fresh water: Since freshwater is much less conductive than saltwater, magnesium anodes are the best choice because they're more active (less noble) than zinc or aluminum so they will protect your engine parts much more effectively. Caution: do not use magnesium anodes in any other than a freshwater application because they corrode rapidly, exposing your boat and engine to possible damage.

Comment

i didnt know if anything was to be changed on cooling system. thanks for the info p.s. the boat was off the coast of north car. long haul back to ky.
        Louisville,Ky.40216 100 yards from the ohio river.1975 MAKO 360 mopar inboard,19chaparral,18bryant(gone) now a 190 baja islander

Comment

Working...
        X