1977 25' Mako - worth repower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 25' Mako - worth repower?

I bought a 77 25' Mako about a year ago for $10K. It has 1987 Yamaha 150's. It had sat in someone's driveway for about 4 years unused. I knew when I bought it that it would be something of a project. I spent all of last summer redoing the wiring, replacing all pumps, updating all electronics,etc. The only thing that has really been a problem is the motors - after having thrown about $4500 at them, my mechanic has advised me to throw in the towel and repower. The boat runs and rides great, but the motors are just not reliable enough for serious offshore use. My question is this - given that the boat is nearly 30 years old, and new engines (Suzuki 140 4-strokes) will be about $17,500 installed, is the boat worth it? I had the hull surveyed for moisture damage when I bought it, and the surveyor said that moisture readings were okay - for a boat that age. As of now, the fuel tanks don't leak, but is it inevitable that they will in the foreseeable future? Is there a way to check the condition of the tanks without pulling up the console and removing them? Also, should I have new moiture readings taken on the transom before I spend this money? How reliable are these readings? All opinions appreciated

quote:

Is there a way to check the condition of the tanks without pulling up the console and removing them?

Not really. the best check is a visual check.

The DF-140's would make a good addition.

Comment

I don't know if this helps or not but I know a guy who has a couple of '99 model 150 yamaha engines for sale (no gauges or controls) that were running fine and still should be before his boat was damaged. He would probably sell you those for arond 5k.
      1985 Mako 235[br]Houston Tx./ Biloxi Ms.

Comment

fathonless,

With the exception of the bit about your's being twin powered already, the saga of my 224, is nearly identical... EXCEPT, that I got the joy of replacing the transom, while adding the DF-140's...

I did NOT get a sgood a deal as you've been quoted, but then again, it runs like a scalded cat, is VERY reliable, and is VERY fuel efficient...

No one else can tell you how to spend your money, but for my $0.02, I'd look at it this way;

IF you plan on keeping the boat for a number of years (more than 5 or 6), then you gotta decide whether an additional $18K, will provide you the boat you WANT to own for that extended period...

IF on the other hand, you typically turn your boats over every 2-3 years, adding DF-140's @ $18K, doesn't seem like it makes the best financial sense, as you'll likely never get even a fraction of your motor investment back, come sale time.

Just my $0.02...

Good Luck, OB1
        Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Hi fathom,

Only you can decide if it's worth repowering. Does the boat do what you want it to do; both now and in the forseeable future? Are you pleased with it? Is it in decent shape?

If the answers are "yes", I'd run the current engines in the short-term. You say they're ok right now -- so use them. During the next six months or so, keep your eyes out for someone repowering more recent engines, say switching from DFIs to ETecs/Verados/4-strokes. That way you don't eat the major costs at such a high price. If you can't find newer "used" engines, after the first of the year, dealers will offer good deals on last years engines. You can probably pick up some 05 Fichts for a good price.

Be advised that when you repower, you'll probably have to buy new control cables, wiring harness, gauges and binacle.

Good Luck,

Tom
          Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

We've all seen it's easy to BUY a boat, but difficult to sell it. WHY did you buy the boat? I bought mine because it is absolutely perfect for me. I can rebuild it or repower it without hesitation.

If you want to sell, your purchase price is of NO concern to your buyer, it is his ultimate usable boat price that matters. If your boat works good enough now, why not hang a For Sale sign on it when you go and eat lunch at waterfront restaurants. You will not sell this overnite, yet you only need one buyer.

Good luck, have patience, and be sure you want to part with a Classic Mako.

Mark
            \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

mako235...

would your friend be willing to sell 1 of the engines?
              1991 1820 Robalo 150 yamaha[br]Seminole, Fl

Comment

I will ask him and see if he would like to sell just one.

Comment

He is not interested in selling just one...he would rather sell them as a pair.

Comment

Get tow boatus! Then make sure yammys are hittin on all six, compression is close on all cylinders within 10lbs ,use high octane & premium oil! and you should be alright for awhile ! [^]

Old 23 MAKO
                    1974 23\' Mako [br]1980 25\' Mako [br]

Comment

Not to be nosey, but how do you have $4500 in them? Then the mechanics tell you to hang it up?
                      1974 23\' Mako [br]1980 25\' Mako [br]

Comment

First off if the motors are shot then you overpaid for the boat to begin with.

Second those motors have a great track record for reliability. Mabee you need to change mechanics rather than motors. If the compression is good and the lower units check out they should run if taken care of.

You may want to sell the rig. If it is in average condition a realistic street price for that rig would be 5 to 7K. Cut your losses and get out of it then go out and get a newer boat.

If you are mechanical and in this boat for the long haul then by all means rip it apart, replace any rotten wood in transom, floor and stringers then repaint it and repower it. For another 25k you will have a rig that is on par with a modern Regulator, Contender or Seacraft and a rig that is far better than a new Mako 25. That is less than half the money of any of the rigs I listed.

Comment

Working...
                        X