Water in bilge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in bilge.

I was just wondering about this. I cannot keep the bilge dry for nothing. I get more in it everytime it rains. Is this normal? Is it necessary to get all the water out of the bilge everytime? Mostly it sits just below the drain hole because it's not able to drain out all the way.
    Troy[br]Pensacola, FL[br]1977 21\' Mako Deep V[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20954

Any idea where the water is coming from? Rod holders draining to builge maybe? If you want that extra little bit off water out, put a small piece of rag throug the drain hole so one end is touching the water you want removed. Let the tail end hang down. This will slowly drain all that extra water out.
    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Yeah, someone already suggested that and it works but it's just going to be a never ending cycle because the boat is staying uncovered. Could be coming from rod holders, console and no telling where else. I just re-sealed around the console with 4200. I probably just need to cover the boat! I don't like the water sitting in the bilge because of the possibility of rot. The main stringer I think would be affected is the center one. The water is not standing near any of the others.
      Troy[br]Pensacola, FL[br]1977 21\' Mako Deep V[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20954

Comment

I have that same problem and in my boat I think it is coming from around the tank hatch or the pie plates near the transom.
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

same issue here...I caulked the tank hatch...still have water.

I checkde a couple of the rod holders but I will pull off in the off season.

I also have new armstrong splash well covers...I don't believe that much water could be seeping in from the older covers but who knows.

The last place is to replace to drain outlets in the transom...I've read a few reports that sometimes they seep water.

If you find out where yours is leaking, please let us know.
          1985 21B[br]Southern New Jersey

Comment

I havent pulled the plug on my 21 in over a month, probably 30 hours run/water time. always as dry as a popcorn fart. Check the water drains/fils for the infloor baitwell. dave
            [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

A popcorn fart?
              Plymouth, MA[br]02 Hydra-Sports 212[br][br]Sea Hunt 22[br]

Comment

I also have to pump regularly. A surprising amount of rain and wash water seems find its way to the bilge. Dave mentioned the fish well under the floor aft of the console. That's a prime suspect on my boat. I just don't trust the plumbing. Project for next winter
                1978 Mako 21[br]Lakewood, OH

Comment

I know it's rain and wash water because my boat is trailered. The water I am referring too is the water that gets inside while it's in the driveway!

Comment

here's a few more possibilities

bow rail mounts...tighten up screws and caulk with 420.

same goes for mounting screws around console.

leaning post or console seat mounting screws.

also try temporarily sealing bilge access and then hosing down two pats of the boatin the driveway. bow deck and gunnels. then main deck. check bilge after each section of the boat is hosed down. that may narrow it down.

"the condition of the bilge speaks volumes about the overall safety and maintenance of the vessel." somebody important said that.
                    91 17 standard[br]mt pleasant sc[br]115 yamaha[br]got mako?[br]

Comment

Working...
                    X