voltage problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voltage problem

Shortly after I bought my boat something happened and my motor is sending to many volts back to my battery. I don't know a whole lot about how a boat motor works but I'm sure that the motor has some sort of altenator. I replaced the voltage regulator and at high throttle settings I'm still getting 16+ volts pushed back. If it is some sort of altenator how hard is it to replace. Thanks
    panama city, Fl[br]1978 mako 17

How are you reading the 16 volt's?

From a guage on the dash or using a VOM meter at the battery?

Comment

Something happened, what was it that happened?? 16 volts to any battery is sure death from over charging. Gel batteries are the most sensitive to over-charging and are also not the battery of choice for the serious boater. I would check the voltage regulator on your motor first.

D-
      Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Not sure what happened, One day it was working fine, the next day it wasn't. I have a volt meter on my console and my fish finder reads volts. Its very inconvenient because my fish finder turns itself off at 16 volts. I did replace the voltage regulator and that did not solve the problem. Not sure where to look next.

Comment

Warthog, Just looking at the pics of your Annie. Beautiful Boat. My nameless boat gets me out in the water but is not much to look at. Does your boat have a brown floor? Is that a Mako thing?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jamiefleming26650

Warthog, Just looking at the pics of your Annie. Beautiful Boat. My nameless boat gets me out in the water but is not much to look at. Does your boat have a brown floor? Is that a Mako thing?

Annie II belong's to Bob Carpenter. X-Shark is mine.

Comment

Oh sorry bout that

Comment

Annie II with a pilot house and X-Shark red???? Sorry, can't picture it .... Wouldn't be the same here if that happened... [88][88][(#)][]
                Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Sorry I mixed up your boat, just trying to give a compliment. Does anyone have an idea where I can look next for my voltage problem. I just replaced the voltage regulator and I'm still pushing back 16+ volts to the battery.

Comment

I'd be looking right back at the voltage regulator.

"Just 'cause it's new, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn!

Word's to live by.

Comment

/ Yup, what warthog said, /Electonics dont always work out of the box. Also please clean and tighten ALL your battery connections including your engine ground and hot. dont leave one conection unchecked. dave.
                      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

What kind of motor is it? I had the same problem on my suzuki. I ended up having 2 sepatate voltage regulators and a rectifier/regulator in one unit. The regulator/rectifier ended up being the bad one. It was a $40 fix, well........ if you don't include the 2 batteries i burned up, haha
                        [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

Its a 1992 88hp johnson. Is the rectifier you are talking about kind of like a altenator for boats? The old voltage regulator had that liquid electrical tape goop all over the connections. Maybe the residual from that goop is preventing a good connection on my new one? Thanks for guys help.

Comment

Well, I don't know much about johnsons, but on my zuki the rectifier/regulator were one unit. They do two totally different things, but built into the same unit (on mine). A rectifier turns your 'alter'nators alternating current (AC) into DC current, then the regulator regulates the amount DC with your ever changing engine speed. Bad batteries usually cause the regulators to burn out. Bad batteries will never fully charge, your regulator doesn't know that, so it's charging at peak amps ALL the time and eventually just burns itself out trying to charge the battery. Before you go throwing money at parts, test your guage on your console, maybe that's bad?
                            [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

Yep, that's why I said:
                              quote:

How are you reading the 16 volt's?

From a guage on the dash or using a VOM meter at the battery?

Comment

Working...
                              X