Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 251 Need advice before buying

New poster here - just now getting back to boating

Found a 89 Mako 251 with twin Yam 200's and tower with electronics for $15,000. Fuel tank replaced, wiring re-done - seems solid. Is this price reasonable? Will have surveyed before purchase but anything I should be aware of with this boat?

J,

Frankly, it's impossible to tell without a more detailed description and probably close up photos.

As a stock Mako 251 it's overpowered -- the hull is rated for a max of 370hp so you don't know if insurance will be an issue.

You don't say what year the engines are -- are they carburated, EFIs or HPDIs? That'll drive a lot of the value. If the engines are just regular carburated engines and not EFIs/HPDIs or 4-strokes, they have little or no value -- even if they run great.

Is there a trailer in the deal?

Tower -- so what. Most of the towers I've seen on older Makos are junk, though there are exceptions. Unless it was made by a high quality top manufacturer like Birdsall, Pipewelders, .... the welds are probably weak.

Electronics -- what kind and how old? These days, electronics more that 3-4 years old add no value to a boat.

If you can answer these questions and post some photos, we can be more help.

Tom
    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Tom - thanks for the reply. At this time here's what I know.

The engines are 1989's with about 500 hours on them. They've had the shift shafts changed to stainless. New fuel tank, rewired, new electronics, Radar, new alum hardtop.

Here's some pictures

Comment

J,

Thanks for the information and photo's -- helpful. We also now know the boat's in NJ somewhere -- that's why an updated profile is so useful. Mako's value increases as you move northward along the Atlantic coast. Here in Florida, where they're very common, they don't bring as high a price.

First things first. That's not a 251, it's a 250 Cuddy. The 251 is a center console. Minor point, I'll conceed. The same hull as a 251.

Engines are old and tired looking --- wouldn't believe the 500 hours bit. Frankly they have no value. If they run well right now -- and make sure you get them checked out by a Yamaha mechanic of your choice, start to budget for replacements. When you do that, you'll need all new control cables and wiring harnesses for today's newer engines.

The Hard Top looks to be in pretty good condition, with a recent JRC Radar -- nice addition. I can't tell what the other electronics are but that may be ok.

The console has had a bit of a hatchet job done to it. That's why all that platic sheeting is there. It's probably functional, but consmetically unattractive. Minus 20 pts there! [] What happened was some gauges or electronics were changed out and the owner didn't care to spend the extra $$ on getting a fiberglass guy in to do it right.

I see there's no trailer. Not sure on prices in NJ, but down here in FL plan on paying $5,000 for a suitable aluminum trailer, dual axle, torsion suspension and disc brakes. You'll want one rated for 7,000lbs just to be sure.

I don't know the market up there, so it's hard to give you a good start point. Given the data on the engines and no trailer, I'd offer around $11,000 and not move north much at all. If the seller declines and you are serious about the boat -- leave him your name and number. The season up there is short and after Labor Day, if he still has the boat, you'll be hearing from him.

Good Luck,

Tom
        Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Yep, There's No tower. Some sort of weird looking hardtop. No front support's. Look for it to break or tear out.

As you can see from this pix. The top is well supported and trianglated .[sp?]

Comment

Thanks guys - learning more every day.

Comment

This boat will ride rougher than a center console. Better to start -and learn with a center console and go from there. Get a hull for less than 4 and go w/ a new 4 stroke motor - or be stubborn like most of us!

Mark
              \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mchar

This boat will ride rougher than a center console.

Why will it ride rougher?
                1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                1985 Mako 20c - sold
                Fort Walton Beach, FL
                http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

It won't be rougher in the stern, but since your helm is quite a bit further forward than a center, your knees will get pounded more. It's also heavier than a center. Try and ride up front in a center w/ 3' waves, then go aft. You'll see a HUGE difference in the ride.

There's a poster here who actually cut out the cuddy cabin and LOVES his new ride.

Mark
                  \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

Working...
                  X