Buying a Mako and Need Advice Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Mako and Need Advice Please!

I'm trying to decide between a 1989 23ft Mako w/ a 1989 200HP Yamaha. The boat seems in perfect condition, nice center console, bimini top, all wiring looks clean etc for $18,000.

Verus

A 1994 22ft Mako w/ a 1995 200HP Mercury, center console, etc for $19,500.

Both boats are in good condition and I am having them inspected. I heard Pre-1994 Mako's were built better which is why I can't make up my mind.

I'll be using the boat for offshore fishing and diving in FL.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

both sound a little overpriced but the 89 is more overpriced than the 94. i have a 96 hull (23') and have had zero problems with it, very well made. i'm not sure when things went downhill for mako but i think it was 98 or 99. i suspect others know that point better than i do. i like the 23 over the 22 but the 89 engine is pretty old for an ob.

Comment

JTH-

Keep looking. That 1989 Mako 23 is definitely overpriced especially considering that the motor is a 89 as well.

I have a 1991 Mako 231 with a 1998 Suzuki 225 and absolutely love me boat. If I were you...I'd keep looking for a 23 that was made between 87ish and 92ish.

After the Schwebke family sold Mako in early 1990's (92/93??) things started to unravel. The story I heard was that some investment guys out of NY bought the company, ran it for a few years and then sold it to Tracker Marine. Since then, things have really gone down hill...however, I think the worst is behind us. I saw one of their new models at a recent boat show and it looked pretty good. Only time will tell if it can hold up well.

Comment

Working...
      X