mercruiser seawater pump....help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mercruiser seawater pump....help!!!!

ive got a 97 5.7 merc. heres the problem, the other day after runing the boat all over stoping and starting a number of times with no problems, well the last time i fired it up the sea water pump was frozen. after removing the belt i was able to turn the pulley backwards a bit then forwwards and that seemed to free it up and it worked fine all the way back in. after going back out again i had the same problem about 25% of the time i tried to start it. what do you guys think
    1975 23cc i/o concord new hampshire

If it were me, the first time it failed, I would have pulled it and tried to rebuild it.

If it's too far gone to rebuild, than replace it. That's just way too important a part to let it go untouched.

I think if you do some searches on line, you should be able to find rebuild kits for it.

I just did a quick search and found one for about $100.00.

It could be easy to do, it could be hard, it all depends on how corroded your pump is.

If it's real bad, it might be easier to replace it.
    1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

i did a rebuild of the pump under 100 hrs ago, but do intend to take it apart tommoro and have a look see
      1975 23cc i/o concord new hampshire

Comment

Its probably the bearings in the pump itself not the impeller. Most of the time when we go thru a pump we forget about the shaft bearings./ Now its time. You may need maching shop help with that but a new pump is not that bad.

These folks have your pump as cheep as anywhere. dave

http://www.amarket.com
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Working...
        X