2005 Mako brochure and engine weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Mako brochure and engine weight

I have been thumbing through the brochures that ManasotaMako got from BPS during the fishing tournament and noticed that in the specs for each boat they now listed the total engine weight limit in addition to Max recommended horsepower. This is some REALLY good data to have and wonder how it is calculated, but more importantly, I wonder if Mako could figure it out for the older models.

Not that I would expect them to go through the effort, but it certainly would be nice if there was a way to figure this out for re-powering our classic boats. It certainly would help the first guy to try a motor and the rest of us wouldn't have to wait and see if it's going to be too much weight.

Anyone have any idea how this might be calculated?
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Sailor,

I had the "official" (at least the published version) of then available outboards HP -vs- Wt info. table a few years back, when I was researching re-powering to twin DF-140's, from the single 235 JonRude GT.

The chart of HP ratings for all boats of a the most popular sizes /classes (I've forgotten the official nomenclatures...) came from NMMA's attempts at industry self-regulation (before "uncle" set the rules for them... which to my knowledge has YET to occur...) in the early 70's.

At any rate, I'll see if I can dig it up again, and post it here. If enough folks become interested, we'll let Ringleader decide how to handle it...

OB1
    Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ob1jeeper

Sailor,

I had the "official" (at least the published version) of then available outboards HP -vs- Wt info. table a few years back, when I was researching re-powering to twin DF-140's, from the single 235 JonRude GT.

The chart of HP ratings for all boats of a the most popular sizes /classes (I've forgotten the official nomenclatures...) came from NMMA's attempts at industry self-regulation (before "uncle" set the rules for them... which to my knowledge has YET to occur...) in the early 70's.

At any rate, I'll see if I can dig it up again, and post it here. If enough folks become interested, we'll let Ringleader decide how to handle it...

OB1

Sailor,

Here's a link to the "weight table for outboards" data for use on craft OVER 20 ft in length... Those 20 ft & under have to play by different rules, (and those rules are... at least in my mind... WAY screwy...)
      This is direct link to the USCG Boatbuilders handbook...

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/bo...able4_pg61.htm

Hope this helps... It's a tad confusiong at first, but after a while, you get used to "government speak", and it sorta begins to make sense... (scary, but true...)

Good Luck, OB1
      Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Working...
      X