any one tow with a ford explorer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any one tow with a ford explorer?

just curious if i would have a problem towing a 23 footer a couple times a year? says it can tow atleast 8k lbs.
    Holden Beach, North Carolina

Check the tounge weight. I have seen worse though.. Tandem axle dump trailer filled with cement chunks pulled by a ranger. Every intersection the bumper sparked.. Hahah I followed him just to watch.
    John S.[br]Lutz, FL aka Tampa[br]Currently transplanted to Tallahassee

Comment

demox...

Follow the recommendations of your tow vehicle manufacturer. If you're having difficulty getting that info, go online, and look it up in thier company's websites, or ask your dealer.

If the MFG. indicates it can tow 8000#, then you should have PLENTY o reserve, unless you've added an unusual amount of "extras" (weight) to your boat or trailer.

Typical trailers for a 23 foot boat will weigh between 1700 & 2500 lbs, with typical weights for a 23 foot boat, in the 3500 to 4500 lb range. Thus typical laoded weights for 23 foot boat/trailer combo's range from around 5000 to 7000 lbs, depending primarily on types of motor/drive systems, hull designs (open as CC's or closed as Cuddy's & WA's), and fluid capacities.

Hope this helps... OB1
      Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

The smallest thing I'm towed my mako 22 with was an S10 Blazer. Towing was never the problem, it's the stopping part. Does your trailer have breaks? Mine doesn't, but I upgraded to a Tahoe and it hasn't been a problem.
        [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

I have a 99 Explorer, do not use the bumper as your hitch, when I towed my 17 back to Florida from Lake Charles La, my bumper went to shit, then I installed a class 3 reciever hitch and have had no problem
          Richard[br]Panama City,FL[br]Currently Looking for a MAKO[br]America needs Obamacare like Nancy Pelosi needs a halloween mask[br]

Comment

well im looking to get a 23 but instead of having a guy tow it and pay for dry dock in the winter id rather tow it the couple times a year. its a newer style explorer v6. it has a sport hitch but that has to go. i was just wondering if i would have problems with steep ramps and hills and stuff thats all. thanks.

Comment

IMHO, you really need a fullsize SUV or Truck. I tried towing my 23footer with a Jeep Grand Cherekee (sp?) and a Blazer before and it really wasn't a good idea. It was only a few miles but the engine strained all the way and the vehicle itself just didn't seem have enough weight to keep the trailor under control. The Jeep was 4x4 so it was able to pull up the ramp but the Blazer was only 2x4 and it almost got dragged in the water.
              Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

All the more reason to find a well seasoned Anchor Bitch with a 3/4 ton Pickup. Take a buddy with a truck out fishing and have him pull it home for you. No reason to possibly damage your Ford. I pull my 17 without any issues with my Dodge Durango. V8 4x4 and I wouldn't want to be pulling anything much bigger at least not for anything more than a few miles.

Be Safe,

SB
                Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

yea it would prob be like 60 miles to get her home. yea looks like a friend might have to help. thanks fellas

Comment

I use to trailer my 23'r 350 miles each way twice a year to Destin and several times a month 20 miles each way to Lake Lanier with my F-150, 5.4L, 3.55 ratio, seperate trany & oil cooler, and class 3 hitch with no problems but that 23'r is about the biggest load I would trailer with my setup. There is no way I would try 60 miles with a mid-size SUV with a V6. But that's just me.
                    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Agreed. I have towed my 23' about 300miles with my 5.4 Expedition 4x4, and it handled the load well--I wouldnt feel comfortable in anything smaller. Operable trailor brakes would have helped []
                      ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

I towed my 19' 1972 home with my 2000 ranger 4 cy [88] it wasnt very much fun but it made it the 1 mile home []
                        1991 1820 Robalo 150 yamaha[br]Seminole, Fl

Comment

I tow my Mako 201 with my Ford Explorer - two wheel drive no less !!

Standard 6 cylinder engine. No issues !!

I use a tandem axle trailer with disk brakes, and the appropriate

hitch for the weight. It's all within vehicle spec, and rides nice.

Life is good.

Comment

whats your 201 weigh?

Comment

I have a '98 Merc Moutaineer V8 all wheel drive with a class 3 hitch. '73 CC Boat, 225HP motor and dual axle trailer with brakes weight 4700# and I tow with no problems on the roads and at any slippery ramp. Love that all wheel drive -

Mike
                              1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X