scuppers /waterline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scuppers /waterline

In the most ideal situation what should the water line and scupper location be in relation to each other? Should the water line be just below the scuppers ,half way up or just above the scuppers.and if the waterline is above the scuppers is there any thing I can do to increase the floatation in the aft portion like adding foam or something? I have a 17 standard.Thanks for advice.
    1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

In a perfect world, the scupper is above the waterline allowing a self-bailing cockpit.

Unfortunately, with our 17 with a 110 rude, that was never the case. Your rig is about identical. Nothing you can really do but let the water drain into the bilge and let the pump deal.
    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Ideal, IMO, is the scuppers 4" or so above the water line. But, in order to facilitate more freeboard and higher gunnels, most small boat manufacturers put the deck right at the water line.

This isnt typically a problem, unless you get a lot of added weight aft for a sustained period(think 3-4 large guys, or a couple of large waves). If the bilge pumps fail, and this type of boat is left unattended at a dock, bad things can happen.

Also, it really helps to make the deck as watertight as possible in order to facilitate a truly self-bailing boat. This means ensuring the rigging wires in the motorwell enter the transom in as sealed a manner as possible, that any in-floor livewells and hatches are made watertight.
      ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

quote:

is there any thing I can do to increase the floatation in the aft portion like adding foam or something?

That has nothing to do with how the boat float's. the only time it will come into effect is when the boat is swamped.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by warthog5

quote:

is there any thing I can do to increase the floatation in the aft portion like adding foam or something?

That has nothing to do with how the boat float's. the only time it will come into effect is when the boat is swamped.

I read a while back were a fella injected long acting Helium into his bracket chamber of his 20 footer and there was a dramatic increase in the flotation. It raised his scuppes 3 inches above the water line. [;^)]

What Bobby said is true. Foam will only increase the weight of the boat and therefore it will sit lower in the water. And when your foam gets wet then it will sit really low in the water. []

strick
          Oakley, California

Comment

So,is it the displacement of the hull, weight of the motor,and overall weight put in the boat that is the tell tell on how well the boat floats in reference to the scuppers? And would the change from 2 lb foam to 4 lb foam affect the overall floatation of the hull? It just seems like it was floating a little higher before I refoamed.the hull has never been painted,so i don't know exactly where the water line was before the refoaming.
            1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Comment

back to the original questions.What is the scupper to waterline best case scenario.And can advice be given regarding the aft questions

Comment

you want the waterline below the scuppers. some people raise the floor of the boat. In some instances simpley adding weight to the bow of the boat will raise the stern enough to get the scuppers at or above the waterline. Adding a engine bracket with the biggest flotation chamber you can fit on the stern of your boat is the best way to gain some flotation. Take a look at Bobby's "warthog" engine bracket and you will see what I'm talking about.

strick
                Oakley, California

Comment

Working...
                X