Gas Tank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Question

Anyone have any tips on fuel tanks? I recently picked up a '77 23cc. It appears to be in original condition. According to the Mako website, it should have an 86 gallon tank. I went to fill up this weekend and the gauge indicated 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank. Well, I was surprised when it only took 43 gallons (including oil). What would be the easiest way to tell if the tank is smaller than listed or if my gauge is wrong. The thought of running to empty doesn't seem too sound and I'm equally afraid of removing the console and seats to open the floor. I'm not sure how much faith to put in the Mako archives. It also says that this boat has a 25" transom when it is actually a 20". Any help would be appreciated.

Doug
    \'91 231 \"Tracy Lee\" (formerly known as TRIDENT)[br]Moored in Buzzard\'s Bay

I DOUBT THERE IS ANY THING WRONG WITH YOUR GUAGE OR THAT YOU HAVE A SMALLER TANK. PULL UP THE SMALL INSPECTION PLATE AND THERE WILL BE A METAL TYPE TAG WITH YOUR TANK SPECS IF IT IS THE ORIG. TANK. IF YOU DON'T SEE A TAG THE ONLY OTHER METHOD IS TO PUMP THE TANK AND RE FILL. MY TANK IS 110 GAL AT 1/4 IT WILL HOLD 50 GAL. PUMP THE TANK THEN FILL TO BE SURE. THEN PUT A FUEL FLOW METER ON YOUR BOAT. I KNOW HOW MUCH FUEL I HAVE BURNED WHEN THE GUAGE IS IN THE UPPER 3/4 OF MEASUREMENT AND NORMALY AM HEADED IN BEFORE GUAGE SHOWS 1/4 BUT THE NAVMAN FLOWMETER MAKES ME MORE COMFORTABLE.
    OVER BUDGET[br]PEARLAND TX

Comment

Thanks, I'll try to find the data tag. What kind of money does a fuel flow meter run?

Comment

http://www.byownerelectronics.com/st...4&cat=0&page=1

http://www.byownerelectronics.com/st...7&cat=0&page=1

Comment

Doesnt your rig have 2 43 gallon fuel tanks??
          ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Well, it only has one fuel fill and one gauge, so I'm assuming it is one tank. Does yours or others of this vintage have 2x43s?

Comment

BOATERSWORLD HAD NAVMAN FOR ABOUT $125.00 I THINK THEY ARE $150.00 NOW
              OVER BUDGET[br]PEARLAND TX

Comment

Working...
              X