Boat Trailer VIN check.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Trailer VIN check.

I am about to purchase a Mako 20C with a trailer. The owner does not have the title to the trailer and registered it as home made. However, upon inspection of the trailer, I did see a VIN number and model number. Does anyone know how I can check to see whether this VIN number is reported as stolen? THanks
    87 Mako 20C[br]LA LA LAND

Welcome, ptcruiser!

First, enter your town & state in your profile so everyone can easily see where you are. This will make it easier for folks to give you the help you need.

I'd think calling your state's motor vehicle department would reveal whether it is a hot trailer.

In CT, a trailer without a title can be registered if you have a previous CT registration certificate. I believe when the trailer is inspected, they then assign a VIN to the trailer and put on a vin sticker. It seems to me that in the absence of title and previous registration, an affadavit from the seller will allow you to register it. But that's just CT... probably 49 other variations to go!

I can't wait to hear about your "new" 20C.

Good luck!

Win
    It\'s a Mako.[br]\'82 20B,\'90 E-150[br]Woodbridge, CT

Comment

I went through the same problem. If you have the previous license plate number off of it they can look it up in the computer. Then they can tell you everything you ever wanted to know, year, manufacture, and history
      John S.[br]Lutz, FL aka Tampa[br]Currently transplanted to Tallahassee

Comment

Definitely go to your state's motor vehicle department with the vin number and they should be able to tell you who owns it.
        Sarasota, Florida

Comment

or conyinue w/ th homemade deal whichever is easier. I found my trailer tag on the frame long after I registered it as homemade..no probs at all.

Mark
          \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

PT, Email me the VIN, i can run it for you and see if we get an NCIC hit, I also have a data base on stolen parts i can check it for you there too, Brad email [email protected]
            Brad 254 Louisville Ky

Comment

Working...
            X