Engine Bracket Mockup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Bracket Mockup

My brother was over on Sunday and we formed a plan of attack to get the bracket mounted. He has some jackstands like you would use on a car lift.

I picked those up this afternoon and I drug the A frame that I have on wheels for pulling car engines out of the shop. The A frame has 2inX8in casters on it, so it rolls real easy.

I had already leveled the boat on the trailer, but I had to redo it. The jackstands were a little tall. So I lowered the trailer toung and releveled the boat. I pulled the inspection hatchs out of the bracket and bridiled a short chain with hook to grab the bracket. Then I hung the come-along on the A frame and jacked the bracket into the air and set it on the jackstands. The jackstands have a big threaded rod down the middle so I can change the angle of the bracket side to side.

I've got it damn close. I did the whole thing by myself and it only took an hour. Pix's tommorow.

I'm really jealous that you are putting on your bracket... I still dont have one yet. Are you going to paint it after it's on? are you using 5200 to seal it? Is the back of it solid or is there just a mounting flange? Gonna look great I'm sure.

Strick
    Oakley, California

Comment

The back is solid. This is just the mock up. It's not going on until the hull is painted. I going to have the bracket sand blasted to get max adheasion with the DEFT epoxy primer that will go on it.

After all the holes are marked on the transom. I will drill the holes oversize and install 1/2 Gray PVC in the holes, buttered with epoxy/cabisol. When all of that is finished and double checked for fit and the rest of the boat is ready for paint and painted then I will mount it with 4200 or 5200.

Comment

I talked to James Caldwell (Caldwell Custom Fab.)today about brackets, fuel tanks, and leaning posts. It was this time of year last year when I talked to him. I told him I'd have the boat done in 3 months... Wow was I ever off!

I'm going out to Biloxi to drop off the father-in-laws tank on Friday. We'll chew the fat about my boat and I'll have a better idea of where we are going with the bracket then too. He paints his brackets with Imron I think.

James told me he just picked up a Mako 260 walkaround for $8500! Great Bargain! He sold the old Johnnyrudes on it and put twin 225's. He gets 51 mph now! Thats alot of boat to be going 51! I'll have to ask him when hes gonna put a bracket on the boat. He'll probably make himself a sweet-assed half tower. That would be nice to be able to whip up a T-top, tower, leaning post, or whatever out of aluminum or SS for myself.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Here are the pixs of Bobbys bracket put to place.

Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I'm running the crap out of my drill motor now. The bracket mounting holes are drilled out to 9/16in.

It was drilled 3/16, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2 and 9/16 on each hole.

The transom is being done the same way but all the way out to 15/16in.

That's so the 1/2in PVC tube will fit in the transom holes.

By stepping the drill bits you get a nice clean round hole. No Oblong crap.

Comment

Very Nice![]Looks great I think I will have to look at doing this once I get my transom repaired!
              3N2, 76 mako 23, marblehead, ma[br]

Comment

Looking good! How long before its on there permenantly?
                1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I gott'a finish all the fairing first. Then get it in primer and block sand some more. The hull has been all blocked. Then get the Black color on the hull.

Then sand blast the bracket and prime/paint it White. Then I can install it perm.

A bunch of work still to say the least. The ETA on the motors is tommorow.[]

Comment

What does the hole pattern look like? I take it the bolts are going to fit nice and snug in the PVC? Once again that is a nice big flotation chamber... she's gonna sit perfect on the water.

Strick
                    Oakley, California

Comment

The hole pattern was suggested by Don at D&D Marine. I made some small adjustment to the bottom row. This is so I could do my center stringers like your's Strick. Knees Added.

I bought the bracket with NO holes drilled. I have High Speed bit's up to 1in. and they came in handy today.

Comment

Working...
                      X