bypassing keyswitch -OMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bypassing keyswitch -OMC

Anyone know how to bypass the keyswitch at the key or at the solenoid to get the motor to start when either goes bad? I used to take a screwdriver to my old Chevy solenoids when the ignition went bad, and was loving life. I am planning on getting stranded soon and want to have the answer on hand?

Thanks, Mark
    \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

By OMC, I assume you mean a Johnson or Evinrude. On most many models, simply unplug the main Wiring Harness that is going to the key switch at the motor end. All the Key switch does is short out the ignition and stop the fire. By disconnecting the harness, you remove the shorting capabilities of the key switch.

To jump start, simply jump from the positive terminal at the starter to the positive terminal of the solenoid with a jumper wire or a pair of needle noses pliers.

Then the only thing you need to do is plug the harness back in to shut the motor down.
    Bill Moore[br]Eden, North Carolina[br]\'81 Mako 21 Center Console

Comment

Shagndj is correct... just keep in mind that your "key-switched" accessories (electronics) will not work if done like this. For this you'll need to know which pair of wires to jumper when you disconnect the harness plug.

-Pat.
      18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Thank you, great answers, I can even practice this at home. I'm sure my keyswitch will fail sooner or later.

Mark

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mchar

Thank you, great answers, I can even practice this at home. I'm sure my keyswitch will fail sooner or later.

Mark

It has happened to me on boats and cars. Knowing how to hot-wire isn't just for thugs![8D]

-Pat.
          18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Aint that the truth Pat!!

Brings back college memories of me on my back under my celebrity with big screwdriver in hand....
            1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

I have a novel idea! Why don't you just install a new keyswitch!!!??? They must cost all of $20.00! Just an idea...[?]

Comment

Ahh, Love my Mako, Grasshopper...just because I think an item is dead doesn't make it so, young son..You may be a keyswitch salesman, I could exactly replace everything under the sun and find...a bad ground or something. Grasshopper, you, too will know it wise to have some powder dry in your bag. Or maybe a short wire w/ some alligator clips on each end. Rather patch 'er up and take 'er home than to call TOWBOAT US. Grasshopper, what do you think?

Only kidding. Mark

Comment

I'm not so sure you can just pull the harness at the motor and jump it. I think that the circut also supplies power to the power packs. If you pull the harness plug, you will see that there is about 6 or 7 pins. Outboard electronics are not forgiving if you send power to the wrong thing. There are other ways of jumping.....get a wiring diagram, talk to a mechanic, etc. Anyway....why do you think your keyswitch would fail? There are more components that are more at risk than the switch.....
                  79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by makorider

Aint that the truth Pat!!

Brings back college memories of me on my back under my celebrity with big screwdriver in hand....

For me it was a 1980 Oldsmobile 98 Regency. Though, I also did have to practice this for my brother's 1986 Olds 98, and a couple of friends' cars in college.
                    ...later it was when the key switch on my boat (when my Dad still had it) got stuck and the starter was running constantly and we never heard it or new it until we noticed the instruments jumping and smoke coming from the engine hatch. The key switch would then not work right and the smoke was the battery cables that had overheated, became soft (insulation), and then arced on the aluminum transom cap where they were wire-tied (by my brother's hand []). This caused a serious situation obviously. Though, I was able to rescue just enough un-burnt cable and used a hammer and nail to open the crimp terminals and then re-crimp (using the hammer and nail) to establish battery power. Then I was able to start the motor (using the hammer) and run home.

Like I said, "hot wiring isn't just for thugs..."

-Pat

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by LoveMyMako

I have a novel idea! Why don't you just install a new keyswitch!!!??? They must cost all of $20.00! Just an idea...[?]

In my previous post, the key-switch was 1 week old and was OEM QuickSilver parts. Usually great quality stuff, but hey everyone has a bad one here and there.

-Pat.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by spectrout77

I'm not so sure you can just pull the harness at the motor and jump it. I think that the circut also supplies power to the power packs. If you pull the harness plug, you will see that there is about 6 or 7 pins. Outboard electronics are not forgiving if you send power to the wrong thing. There are other ways of jumping.....get a wiring diagram, talk to a mechanic, etc. Anyway....why do you think your keyswitch would fail? There are more components that are more at risk than the switch.....

At the key itself, it is usually about 5 connections. These in turn connect and disconnect the appropriate circuits for running. The connections for running are usually handled by relay if they are more than a couple. You would never want a key switch carrying that much juice.

-Pat.

Comment

Speck trout - I think the keyswitch would fail because it's crappy and the last time out, I shut the boat off preparing to load her up. Then, jumped back on and got NOTHING from the key. All other power worked. Got a quick tow from a friendly, back to the hacienda, and voila, the mother f 'er starts right up. It could be a bunch of things, but just knowing HOW to bypass the keyswitch gives me a little more ammo.

Cyclops, don't be so sure that hot wiring isn't just for thugs...and thanks for the good tips, I need to look for a relay. I have the entire wiring diagram and service manual, just need to get down to the boat and do a step by step.

Thanks, Mark.

Comment

Working...
                          X