No announcement yet.

it's stuck'en and it won't come off!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it's stuck'en and it won't come off!!!!

I've have tried and tried but those darn drain screws on my Rude lower unit is stuck. Gonna try spraying some liquid wrench on it. Any one have any good ideas on how to take those suckers off? I've already bought 2 new replacement screws in case they get stipped worse than an Odysee 2000 dancer.
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Only other thing is to use some heat along with the L-Wrench. Sometime the heat will pull the lube into the stuck area. Good luck -

Mike
    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

I hope you haven't rounded the screwdriver slot?

Way back when, I knew this could be a problem. I went to the auto part's srore and bought a S&K screwdriver just for this. It has a square shank on it so you can put a wrench on it.

You must have the blade fit the screw plug corectly.

Now when you have the correct screwdriver, you put it in the slot and knock hell out of the end of the screwdriver. This will shock the threads and it will usually come right on out.

Comment

hmmmm.... is that like a manual impact driver????
        Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Yep, but you must have a blade big enough to fit the slot correctly. I've never seen a stright tip with a hand impact that was big enough.

Comment

Bobby, thanks for the tip. I just swung by Home Depot and they have a kit that is for both screw and socket. It has 3 different size phillips heads and 1 big arse flat head that looks perfect.

This damn rain needs to stop so I can get back to work-in.

Comment

So once the plugs are out and the L U drained, you will screw in your pump and HiVis oil into the lower plug, w/ engine vertical, and pump until it drains out the top hole. I can check, but you need a new flex washer on the top bolt at least. Some engines need a bit more oil than the litre in the kit. Good luck. This is a perfect maintenence job for the novice.

Mark
              \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

One of these will work great.

I just did a web search and found them as low at 14.99. Mine cost a lot more than that 20 years ago, but for occasional use I would think an inexpensive one would be a nice thing for any boater to have in the garage tool box.

Your local NAPA probably has one.
                Larry S. - Fort Pierce, Florida[br]23 Contender

Comment

Take a punch and line it up at an angle on the outside of the screw slot. Hit it a good wack with a hammer in the direction of CCW this will work every time, done it a hundred times. dave
                  [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Working...
                  X