Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires

Lost a tire,rim,brake shoes, and rotor on the way back home last weekend. need input

on trailer tires the trailer alittle over a year old and came with carlise tires don't like them. what do ya'll like greenballs or goodyears ares what i am looking at. as always thanks for everybody's input.
    Jeffrey George[br]Houston,Texas

The next tires on my trailer are gonna be regular car radials.......I'm done with this ST crap.

Comment

Alcedo, you may regret that. When I bought my Mako this year it had regular car tires and the trailer was hard to pull. I thought something was horribly wrong with it. It moved all over the road when pulling above 45 MPH, the tires always looked low because you could only run 35 psi instead of the 50 psi for trailer tires. Auto tires don't haveas many side plys so the tire is mushy. I guess if you are only moving it short distances and not on the highway auto tires would be okay. Don
      Don Flowers[br]Port Lavaca, Tx.[br]Mako 224 1985 \"Godspeed\"[br]Yamaha 175

Comment

DO NOT PUT REGULAR CAR TIRES ON A TRAILER! If you want radials buy the ones that are made for your trailer. Radil tires usually require that the trailer is set up with a sway bar to the load carrying hitch etc. to reduce the side to side that is normal with the soft sided radil type tires. The best bet is to stay with the new standard bias type trailer tires. They will tow at 70 MPH fine and wear like iron. Just 30+ years of boat and mobil home trailering experience speaking -

Mike
        1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

What did I start I know you put trailer tires on a trailer unless your not real bright. i was asking about preference in brand. I do not like the carslie tire will probaly go with d rated greenball but not sure yet.

Comment

Got the greenballs on mine and they are really nice. Running from Hurricane Emily lst weekend I blew the back right. My only complaint with the greenballs is when the go bad, they fall apart. I had to replace them with regular tires just for emergency reasons as I was way to far North in Mississippi to get real trailer tires. These are only rated for 1200lbs and 35 psi. No where near what the greenballs will take.
            Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

artie what load rating are your greenballs?

thanks Jeff

Comment

Here is a little more input for you guys… If you pull a tandem axle trailer never put steel belted radial tire on them. A radial tire can and will separate from the belt. This is because of the tight turning radius that most of us do at the boat ramps. The front tire pulls one way while the back tire pulls the opposite. This causes a separation on the belt from the rubber and will result in a flat no tread area on the tire. My suggestion is to buy Tow Master nylon belted tires. In the long run this will save you from fender, trailer, and boat repairs.
                01\' Mako BayShark 2100[br]200 Optimax[br]Lakeland Fl.

Comment

I guess you guys will get real mad when you see this.

Tires are Yoko 205-50-16, 500 tread wear rating

I talked to the guys a Dunlop extensivly about this issue when I redid my trailer before I even started buying stuff. They assured me that tires made for high performance driving will handle this no problem. The side walls on the low profile tires are steel and some other composite structure. They cited all the super expensive race boat companies use these same combinations, and think about a 400 hp car sliding down the slolem course not being able to have the sidewalls handle the forces? So with that in mind, I did it, its been fine, probably 600-700 miles on her and the nubs are still on the tread a little and its all good. But there is no motor yet to weigh her down more, so we will see. Based on my calculations these wil be OK, Now I would guess to say normal aspect ratio tires 60 and above might not work as well.

Hell I dont know

Loose the carlise tires
                  John S.[br]Lutz, FL aka Tampa[br]Currently transplanted to Tallahassee

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by chefjeff

artie what load rating are your greenballs?

thanks Jeff

2540 lbs @ 65psi. 225/75/15

The same car tires are 1240 lbs @ 35psi

John, You'll be ok with the low profile street tires IMO. Your boat weight is significantly lower than a 25'er and the lower profile tires with th "60" width distribute the weight very well. With 2 axles, no problem with your boat.
                    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Hey Folks:

With all respect to all of the previous posts, I do have to disagree with all negative posts regarding Trailer rated tires. There are off course many failures attributed to these trailer tires, but analysis has now determined the cause to be underinflation, for the majority of these instances.

Even within our current aviation endeavors, our preflight check, will involve both visual checks, but also an actual psi check, if any doubts exist. Aviation tires, etc. are accordingly very expensive. For instance, If you were to scrub a tire, in a crosswind landing in a Beech King Air Turbo prop, were looking at a $ 500.00 plus bill. It can add up!

The underlying cause seems to be the innacuracy of readilly available psi guages, coupled with the lackidaisil efforts of trailer owners to insure thier rated inflation. Years previous, when we bought gas, in our cars, we checked our tire inflation. I doubt that many folks, even those on this board, check their tires on a weekly basis. Please tell me if I am wrong here.

Bottom line for those still reading:

Trailer tires have extra plys in the sidewall - 4-6-8 etc.

Goodyears are ok, but the imports are cheaper and just as good

We have a major importer across the street from our facility, containers running 24-7. Recently purchased 8 ply tires for our 231 for approx $45 apiece x 4. Chinese maybe, but they have been just as good as the goodyears, for a fraction of the price.

Post more later if wanted.

Randy
                      1988 Mako 231[br]Jackson, MS

Comment

I am picking up a 17' Mako in Waukeegan IL and pulling it back to southern California. The trailer is an 89 and not used much but is supposed (quote, unquote) to be in good shape. Should I get the bearings done before I head out? Can I do it myself? I was told it is fairly simple?
                        \'84 Mako 172[br](the money pit)[br]San Clemente, CA

Comment

I had a brand new trailer, brand new Carlisle tires, pulling my rig to the Keys last year, blow out in Miami ! Ever changed a tire on the Fla. turnpike at 1:00 PM in July !!! It ain't fun. What I don't understand is........why would the trailer sway with car radials ? My car don't sway.

We pulled Hammertimes 254 from Miami to Pensacola with car radials.....no sway, no problems. 2 years later I do believe those same tires on on the trailer ansd he has had 0 problems. A close friend of mine just went from Jax to the Grand canyon and back.....3000 mi trip yanking a 9000 LB 5th wheel, truck radials....not one problem, I on the other hand have had nothing but problems.......everything from tread seperation to just plain explosive tire failure. I keep the damn things at 50 PSI.....they just destroy themselves.....my theory is, the feds have no regs on trailer tires....ya really don't know what you are getting, no temp or speed rating. I do not think they are made to the same quality control or standards as car tires. A set of car radials at the tire store on sale is about 180.00. I am gonna try them....I'll let ya know what happens. I trailer 35 miles one way to the ramp.

Comment

1. The Carlise trailer tires that almost all trailer mfgs put on thier

trailers suck

2. Goodyear Marathons are the only way to go. I heard Greenballs are

just re-labled Goodyears

3 There are a few good bias belted tires around but why use

1940's technology. Ever look a the 18 wheelers they all

run Radials...why because they last longer roll easer and

tow better.
                            Apex NC [br]

Comment

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...ionAnxiety.dos

I stand fully corrected, according to this article and what I see/do on the highway, most of us are causing the problem. The article states all....ST/SP tires are speed rated at 65, hell I see folks in dually diesels yanking a triple axle with a 30 footer cruising at 75-80 all the time. I was pulling mine at 70......not anymore....I think 60-65 and the rest of them can just blow their horns and flip me off as they pass me up. I would rather spend an extra hour getting there, than an hour on a 100 degree interstate with a 130 degree hardtop changing a tire and dodging semi trucks !

At 60 or so ya get better gas milage, less wear and tear on the tow truck, tires run cooler, heck.....it's easier on everything

Comment

Working...
                              X