Help on Mounting T Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on Mounting T Top

Not really new to forum. Had to reformat and forgot user name or password. Whatever. Need to know how to screw T Top to floor on 78 21 foot Mako. Thought the wood ran that far forward. WRONG. Stops at back of the console. Front left leg the holes wallered out and the left rear post had broken from the mounting plate. Had new plate about 3 inches longer in each direction. Ffront to back, welded on to post. No wood there to attach the screws. What is the solution??? Thanks in advance.
    Neil Clark[br]Lexington NC[br]Prove It All Night[br]1978 21\'[br]Gave her to my son after college Graduation.

Be careful that you don't put one of those secews through the gas fill tube that is right under the floor about even with your fill on I think, the Port side.

Mike
    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

You might 5200 a 1/2" by 12"x12" piece of aluminum backing plate centered under each leg of the T-top, after you repair the holes already made. You would support these pieces of aluminum with sticks so it will remain in close contact under the floor. Mark your hole locations on the deck. In the morning, drill and tap the holes w/ a proper thread, fill the newly cut edge of glass w/ epoxy, then (and I got a problem w/ SS vs alum.) send your S.S. bolts down. No need to have someone try and deal w/ backing plates, washers, nuts, etc., from a hatch.

This idea is not mine, it came from a website somewhere, and I think it may be a useful discussion starter. I'd rather run bolts through w/ nuts below a backing plate, but if access or cutting up your deck is no option, then this may work.

Good luck.

Mark
      \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

this might be off the wall, but I'll suggest it anyways. Has anyone ever thought of using toggle bolts like you would if your mounting something on the wall? Where you pop it through the hole and the wings pop out on the other side and you tighten it down till it is locked in on the back side. Just switch the bolt out to a stainless one and use the wings from whichever onbe you buy.
        John S.[br]Lutz, FL aka Tampa[br]Currently transplanted to Tallahassee

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I had a longer foot plate put on and reattached like it was before. Just screwed into the floor. Far as I can tell just into or thru the fiberglass. How long should this last with only a couple of trips a year to the coast? Most of my fishing is inland on lakes?
          Neil Clark[br]Lexington NC[br]Prove It All Night[br]1978 21\'[br]Gave her to my son after college Graduation.

Comment

Uhhhh um this will not last, will not work and will likely hurt you or your children in the future. Please scroll down to the 1st page of this forum, sit back, and begin reading a wonderland of info. Or go to Boat US and get their $2.99 West System Installation Guide. Read about hardware installation. Please don't take kids on your boat until you read about t-top and oher hardware installs. The seas are tougher than we are. Careful.

Mark

Comment

oops, about toggles.. better than screws into ply wood...seal all drilled holes w/ epoxy prior to toggling.....Mark

Comment

Working...
              X