Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Question

Hi All -

I have a V-6 Optimax that has been getting harder and harder to steer. It is setup with dual station Teleflex Seastar system and there is NO AIR in the lines, cylinder or helms. After scratching my head for a bit I noticed that when I grease the tube ( Not sure of correct name, but I mean the vertical shaft that connects the motor to the mounts ) there is grease coming out of the bottom but the top is BONE DRY.

At this point, I think my best bet is to heat it a little and hope that I can melt whatever is binding inside. I assume it is salt residue and old grease. I would prefer not to pull the powerhead to clean this out. Does anyone see a problem with this approach or does anyone have experience with this sort of issue? Please let me know as soon as possible since I'd like to fix this today after work and then chase some Tarpon in the morning.

Thanks to all....
    Keep em\' Bent[br]----------<{{{{{{><[br]David[br]1999 Mako Bayshark 2100[br]Tampa, FL

I don't see a problem at all and would do the same, but I would remove the zerk fitting and see if it's screwy first.

I had a deal on my John Deere loader once that I throught the zerk's were bad. I removed a few and test them with a grease gun. They work fine. The grease was just so hard in there. I was able to dig some of it out thru the zerk fitting hole with a dental pick.

Comment

Dental pick....huh, I wonder if anyone on the forum has one of those?
      Keep em\' Bent[br]----------<{{{{{{><[br]David[br]1999 Mako Bayshark 2100[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

When I greese my stearing, I have someone constantly turning the wheel from side to side WHILE I am pumping the greese gun. Try this first and if it dosent work the heat might - but be careful a little goes a long way!

Mike
        1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by FIN-DEEP

Hi All -

I have a V-6 Optimax that has been getting harder and harder to steer. It is setup with dual station Teleflex Seastar system and there is NO AIR in the lines, cylinder or helms. After scratching my head for a bit I noticed that when I grease the tube ( Not sure of correct name, but I mean the vertical shaft that connects the motor to the mounts ) there is grease coming out of the bottom but the top is BONE DRY.

At this point, I think my best bet is to heat it a little and hope that I can melt whatever is binding inside. I assume it is salt residue and old grease. I would prefer not to pull the powerhead to clean this out. Does anyone see a problem with this approach or does anyone have experience with this sort of issue? Please let me know as soon as possible since I'd like to fix this today after work and then chase some Tarpon in the morning.

Thanks to all....

Just out of curiousity, where were you planning to chase tarpon? The red tide is worse now than before hurricane Dennis blew through here.

It's nothing but dead fish as far as I can see (and smell).
          St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

Huh…… Dang I’m having the same problem with my Opti Max. Only the grease on mine comes out the top not the bottom. Wonder if we can put our boats stern to stern and back up at a high rate of speed slamming them together and get both of our problems fixed?[(#)]

LOL….. Nah I wonder if you remove the grease fitting and spray some Blaster into the opening while turning your motor will fee it up. Then replace the fitting and purge the Blaster with grease. Think that’s what I’ll try.
            01\' Mako BayShark 2100[br]200 Optimax[br]Lakeland Fl.

Comment

I WOULD DISCONNECT THE STEERING CYLINDER AND SEE IF THE MOTOR TURNS OK.MY GUESS IS THE PROBLEM IS IN THE HORIZONTAL TUBE.
              OVER BUDGET[br]PEARLAND TX

Comment

I have a similar problem as the grease seems to all come out the bottom. However, when I trim up the engine two bars on the gauge the steering is fine.

Anybody have any thoughts on how to fix that? I have bleed and topped off the system.

Also the steering jerks up and down a little bit when trimming the engine. I suspect that this may be related and the steering is binding up somehow. Trim fluid is also topped off.

Thanks.
                1989 Mako 211 [br]1988 Yamaha Excel[br]Stamford, CT

Comment

CHASMO,

Head North young man!!! The red tide never made its way all the way to th top of the bay. You can call me on my cell if you need any specifics. 813-277-6449

Comment

Thanks for the tip but the problem was definately where I thought. I had it taken care of today and I will get it back in the AM.

Shankiee-

Nice post! Go to the river with the wife and have a good time Sat and we will get out beginning of next week to put your new G-Loomis to the test.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Comment

Working...
                    X