Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To buy it or Not to buy it...What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy it or Not to buy it...What do you think?

I am looking to make my first boat purchase. I have found a 1976 Mako 19 center console. It is powered with a 1988 115hp zuke, new fish/depth finder and is VHF ready, but with out radio, has tape deck. All the teak looks great and it has all new bottom paint and keal gaurd. Has trolling motor with foot control. All instruments are digital except compass. Asking price is $3500. What do you guys think? All feed back is welcome!
    MAKOBAIT[br]76\' Mako 19/Suzuki 115[br]Ringgold, VA

Hi Makobait and welcome to the site!

We hope you will stick around with us a while! Being a recent member myself, I can assure you that you will get a fairly good and mostly unbiased advice for your Mako search. So many questions: where are you located? What type of fishing? being a first timer, trailer condition, engine compression, etc. Can you email photos?

Although age is important, transom, fuel tank, outboard health, etc, without a reasonable marine survey, it is impossible to answer your question. Not to worry however, you could have found a gem, or just another project boat requiring twice as many $$ to get here ready to suit you. Post as much data as you can, and be assured that all here will chime in with opinions.

Best regards

Randy
    1988 Mako 231[br]Jackson, MS

Comment

Thanks Randy,

Not sure about engine compression. I have been turned on to this boat by a friend of the family and the guy that owns it still uses it but he had broken his back and can't care for it any longer. I didn't notice any cracks around the transom area, if thats what you mean. As for the fuel tank he says it is 36 gallons and Stainless Steel. I don't have pics but the boat looks great and when he told me it was a '76 model I was taken back b/c it looks great! It has a bamini cover and matching console cover. He has used it mostly on the lakes but he used to live in the eastern VA so it has been in salt water, although he said it has never sat in saltwater. The trailer is in pretty good condition it think it is galvinized, said he bought it b/f he moved to central VA b/c he wouldn't trust the old one on the highway.

I live in south central VA and fish for all most anything. I live within an hour from 3 large lakes and they have Pike, strippers, large mouth, small mouth, crappie, catfish, trout....ect. I like to fish for them all. Also, I like to fish for spanish and flounder when I go to the beach.

Comment

Makobait:

Sounds as if you may have hit the jackpot - If you really are set on it - here is my personal recommendation:

Offer a refundable down payment based on two items: run the boat to your satisfaction, and two, get a local marina or reptuable mechanic to run the compression test and trailer etc. evaluation. Then you will know whats in front of you. To me here sounds like a good deal - you would be hard pressed to even find a 13 foot boston whaler for this price. Hope this helps.

Randy
        1988 Mako 231[br]Jackson, MS

Comment

Bait: I'll second what Tailwind said. It is NEVER unreasonable to ask for a sea trial. Sounds like a very good deal if everything checks out.

Oh, and please enter your location (city,state) in your profile under 'signature.' It helps us help you! [8D]
          \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Thanks for your input guys, I hope to have some pics soon. The wife and I are going down this weekend so she can see it. I hope I can make the purchase @ beginning of next week! Any other input is welcome. What are some things to pay close attention to when visually going over it?

Comment

Where is Ringgold [?]

Rot seems to be the biggest enemy of our old boats. Check the deck for soft spots and/or delamination of the fiberglass from its substrate. Check the transom (tap it all over with a plastic hammer or the back of your pocketknife and listen for dull thuds as opposed to sharp raps). This may not mean rot, but will most likely indicate water intrusion.

Open the inspection port in front of the motor and take a big whiff. You should NOT smell gas. If you do, the tank will need replacing. Ouch.

Will the electrical system pass for a season or two, or are you going to have to rip all the wiring, fuse blocks, bus bars, etc out and replace them? This can get expensive. Is the battery in one of the livewells or sitting on the deck near the motor? Budget about $100 for big long cables, because that thing needs to be in the console.

And budget a couple hundred bucks for Friday's Marine in Glenns (near Saluda) to check your motor, clean the carbs, etc.

What does "VHF ready" mean? It has an antenna? Or is there a gaping hole in the console that now you HAVE to fill? Even an entry-level VHF like a Uniden Solara will still be over $100.

Good luck, and keep us in lots of pics! [][8D]
              \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mubikS

Where is Ringgold [?]

Nevermind, found it on Yahoo Maps. Yowzaz! What's a boat doing that far inland? [:x)]

Comment

I just got a Mako 17 (a 1977 with a 140 Johnson) here in the Houston Area for around $3000 but was able to talk him down from the $3500 because i insisted on taking the boat out on the water. If something goes wrong (as it did with me), you can negotiate the price down on the spot (assuming its not something that you can fix). Ditto the checking for soft spots and the gas tank and having someone going over the engine.

Comment

mubikS,

The guy that has the boat used to have Fridays Marine service the boat when he lived in the tidewater area. He made mention of that place several times. Thanks for the input. Hope to have pics today.

Comment

Yeah, Friday's would be quite a haul for you. I'm sure there's somewhere in your area that's competent. I go 2 hours away to norfolk and ask for suzuki stuff and they refer me to fridays.

Comment

Working...
                      X