Mako 251

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 251

id="blue">I have recently Aquired a Mako 251, she was an ex marine patrol boat, and needs some cleaning and paint. I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer Id be very appreciative.

1. With 2 225 johnsons what would performance be and fuel economy.

2. is there any difference between the hulls or fuel tanks between the marine patrol boats and the std ones?

3. would the boat handle ok on 1 225 engine?

the reason i ask is one motor has a New power head and runs great, the other has gas leaking from the carbs but still tries to fire up, compressin is good on it, just dont know if it would be easier to fix or switch to one motor.

4. if i were to sell it at one time would it be easier to sell with one engine? or two?

I really like the boat but I think it may be a bit too big for me

and I may end up keeping my 21 and selling the 251

any input would be great and Thanks seems like an AWESOME site!!!

Hi Ryan,

The Mako 251 was/is possibly the best boat Mako EVER made. The 25' LOA, combined with the 23 degree deadrise and 8' beam made an awesome riding boat. Now on to your questions.

1. Power. The hull is rated for a max of 370hp, either single or twins, so your boat is over powered -- there may be an insurance issue. If both engines are in good shape, that boat would be "smokin'" fast!! [:u][:u] The most common twin set up for that boat is/was twin 150s, the most common single was a 250hp. So having said that, a single 225 will move the boat, but it'll be underpowered -- especially with a full tank of gas, gear, and 2-3 adults.

2. Construction. Mako and Boston Whaler both made boats for the government/commercial sectors with somewhat beefed up hulls. What the exact differences are, I don't know -- your boat may just be a standard boat with ugly grey paint.

3. Single 225hp. See above -- it'll work, but not be optimal.

4. Sales value. If you want to get rid of the package, you'll do better selling the engines separtely from the hull. I don't know where you're located, but I'd get the engines up and running, then sell them.

General comments. Larger V6 outboards have a good bit of value -- especially carburated 2-strokes here in Florida. A lot of people don't want to spend the $$ on new DFI or 4-stroke engines, they like having an engine they can work on themselves. There's nothing easier to work on then a V4 or V6 "Johnrude" [] As a "twin" package they're not worth much since they're not very fuel efficient -- folks needing V6 twins will splurge for DFIs or 4-storkes, but as singles they'll bring you more $$.

I'd sell the two 225s (and the 21'), putting the $$ into fixing the hull right and possibly repowering. By that I mean a good quality paint job and restoring the no-skid deck surface -- I know that's shot. After that you'll know where you stand and can make a decision on repowering. Twin 150 HPDIs or E-Tec's would be great on that hull! []

Post some photo's and keep us updated...

Tom
    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Being an ex marine patrol boat, I wonder if it has been beefed up to allow for twin 225's? I do not think the marine patrol will overpower there boats if it may be an insurance issue.
      Sarasota, Florida

Comment

THe ex marine patrol 251's are rated for 450 HP. Did you buy this boat at the Tampa Machinery Auction on Saturday?
        1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

id="blue">GReat advice Propblast, thanks!

The non skid is actually like new, this boat had the entire floor covered in a heavy duty anti fatigue rubber floor, I removed a it to check on the floor and found the floor is solid as steel! and like new! I did purchase the boat at the tampa auction Saturday, I tried to buy another one but it went a lil too high for me.

The transom and hull is in very good shape. The port motor has a new power head and runs great , the starboard engine has 750 hrs and has fuel leaking from the carbs, So Ill tear into them this weekend. The electrical system is super heavy duty and the bopat has cleaned up real nice. The trailer is one of those monster aluminum ones w 4 whl disc brakes and shows almost no use.

I usualy only fish 20-30 miles out and the 21 seems to do that real well without draining the wallet, still undecided on what to do lol

Comment

Spearit-

Good for you. My friend has a 1983 Mako 254 (same hull) and he has it powered with a 1997 Evinrude 225 Ocean Pro. His top speed is around 37mph....not crazy fast but it gets the job done.

Please take some photos of the boat, wiring and the trailer. Would definitely like to see what the marine patrol version looks like.

Do you mind me asking what the range of prices was at the auction on the 25 footers??

Comment

id="blue">Last month there was only one 251 which sold for $19200.00 This last auction there were at least 20 plus boats. Most of the 251's were 1988-1991 and most had ficts on them. all were twin 225's, and sold in the 7+k range. running or not. A 30 foot center console chris craft with bracketed twins and a triple axle alloy trl sold for 5700. I could of gotten it for 6k and am kickin myself in the #$%$ for not getting it. All the hardware and extras on these boats appear to be "top notch", I am a lil curious why the marine patrol opts to use the old vro seeing as the engines on mine are 93's but the vro is working, I think im gonna disconnect it and run premix for safetys sake.

Comment

Spearit-

I'd be happy with that 251....it is a real nice boat. As far as the Chris Craft 31 center is concerned, I did a ton of work on one with my buddy who owns a boat restoration shop, and while they are pretty rugged, i think the styling on them is pretty cheezy.

Buying a 25 Mako is never a mistake.

Comment

Working...
                X