Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? For Michigan Dave ? More Fuel Issues

Dave ,

I am having stalling problems with my 96 225 E-Rude. Could you please provide more info on the Momentary stall switch?

Location, size, a picture maybe?[88]

I have been the route and still no luck.

Difficult docking in a real difficult slip , especially when stalling!

Any Help would be appreciated.

thanks-

Bob
    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

I'd also look into the prospect of enough fuel flow. My Dad's '91 Johnny 225 has the same problem, and I think its more fuel related than the shifter cut-out switch. Does yours do it primarily when the motor is already at operating temp (after you get back to the launch)??

-Pat.
    18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

It does it warm or cold, when I am going dead slow to move to a new drift when fishing or slowing to come into a new spot, in or out of the marina and while docking!!!

My fuel lines are new, tanks to motor.

Fuel shut off valves are new, one for each tank.

Water separator has been changed, (yesterday).

I have tried 3- different (new), primer bulbs. The latest is OEM.

The in-line filter in the motor was changed.

I blew back thru the fuel line from the water separator to the tank - - no restrictions.

All fuel line clamps are tight.

I have bumped the idle up.

The idle is now approx. 650rpm's when in gear , dead slow. I could bump it up more , but, I want to be able to dock as slowly as possible - very difficult slip to get into.

What should the idle be in gear- dead slow??

I understand that an electric fuel pump may take care of this, but, I do find it hard to beleive that this is necessary. I see many folks running these outboards and they have no issues.

When using ann electric fuel pump, should it be on when ever the motor is running or just at slow running.

[:-(]
      Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Annie, when i had that problem it ended up being that I needed a good carb cleaning (actually taking the jets out and blowing compressed air and carb cleaner through them)and it worked fine. Those low speed idle jets are so small anything could clog them and give you poor performance.
        [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

Would running some carb cleaner in the gas tanks help or do they have to be removed? I hate carbs!

Comment

Personally, I don't think pour in the tank carb cleaners work. You really need compressed air and carb cleaner to dislodge any debris in your carbs jets and taking them off, taking your time and following the step my step directions in your manual with a couple beers really helps. That's if the carbs are your problem
            [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

Good News, (Maybe).

I went to a local Evinrude dealer at lunchtime. He stated that he was pretty sure that the momentary kill switch was probably the culprit for the stalling. He said that the seals get dirty and the switch doesn't operate properly.

Location of switch is in the lover unit connected to the shift linkage. Remove the lower unit and switch plate bolts and there are a few seals that should be replaced. He siad that this should take an hour and a half or so to complete and I'd be in business. No more stalling. For some reason I beleive him...

We'll see.

Bob

Comment

Working...
              X