'92__225 evinrude question...HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '92__225 evinrude question...HELP

OK, This is driving me nuts. The boat is comming along well, cleaning up real nice and is solid. The problem is that damn thing on the back. The 225 rude with unknown hours on it is acting up, out and generally being a pain in the a**. It runs well enough most of the time...BUT...sometimes it will sputter, and bog down above 3000 RPM. I know you guys are thinking fuel or carbs at this point but this is where it gets strange. When this happens, shutting down the engine and re-starting will clear up the problem for an as yet un-determined length of time. I haven't had the boat long enough to do a whole lot of testing and recordkeeping but I am puzzeled.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? I hate to take it to the shop cuz at $80 per hr, diagnostics add up real quick.

Thanks all

ka
    1979 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1987 Mako 231/1997 Yamaha 225. Now the 231 wears an 01 225 Yamaha 4 stroke. [br]Cape Coral, FL

Sounds like it's probably going into SLOW (speed limiting overheat warning). Is your alarm working?
    1973 Mako 22[br]Bahamas

Comment

Dave, Its funny that you brought this up. My friend has a 225 yamaha on the back of his Whaler and had the same problem. After rebuilding the carbs, changing fuel filters and the check valve in the vent the motor kept doing the same thing. come to find out that is was an electrical problem. I cant remember what it was narrowed down to but it caused some of the cylinders to lose power.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by gtcway

Sounds like it's probably going into SLOW (speed limiting overheat warning). Is your alarm working?

Nope, to my knowledge, the alarm is NOT working. I'll check out the overheat thing.

thanks

ka
        1979 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1987 Mako 231/1997 Yamaha 225. Now the 231 wears an 01 225 Yamaha 4 stroke. [br]Cape Coral, FL

Comment

If memory serves me right.......should be a sensor on each bank, brown wire, disconnect the brown wire at the sensor, turn ignition to on, ground wire to block....should get a horn, test both sides.

Could be the power pack over heating. Sure sounds like it is going into slow mode though.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Alcedo

If memory serves me right.......should be a sensor on each bank, brown wire, disconnect the brown wire at the sensor, turn ignition to on, ground wire to block....should get a horn, test both sides.

Could be the power pack over heating. Sure sounds like it is going into slow mode though.

OK, so if the power pack IS overheating...what do I do about it? Is this a waterpump thing, or a deeper problem. If it is the waterpump (and on a side note, the motor is pissing, but not what I would call a strong stream)is this something I can handle myself or should I get on to the shop and request an appointment?

Sorry for all the dumb questions but I am new at this.

Thanks

ka

Comment

Don't worry about dumb questions, we all ask them at times. On another note; Johnsons are not known for strong water flow out of the water flow verification port.

As for the power pack, usually the water cooling system doesn't have much effect on this except to keep the block at a nominal temperature.

-Pat.
              18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Are you running premix ?

Comment

Warning horns first........do they work ?

Comment

Pre-mix...yes @50:1

Horn...no

I just bought the boat off of e-bay (and got a pretty good deal on it (I thought) so I am still learning it's quirks.

thanks for all the replys

ka

Comment

Would teh SLOW system reset itself immediately like I am describing? Runs fine for a while, warms up then motor runs like crap (low RPM range below 3000 ok but anything over that is pretty rough), shut it off...start it right back up and it'll run fine for a while.

All the while, the ball remains firm. The boat has a Racor fuel filter that I need to replace just because it looks old and is an unknown.

ka

Comment

Hre is a great link for Evinrude issues:

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/johnson/

Good Luck
                        87/224[br]Homestead, Florida

Comment

We can hit and miss on here all year. I would take it to a trusted wrench, in an hour he can tell you everything that is wrong with it (they are simple motors compared to todays motors). Let him get it right and then you do the routine maintenance from there.....

Yes...slow will reset its self.

Comment

Yeah, it is in the shop as we speak. They say they will get to it on Thurs. Sheeeesh

ka

Comment

Working...
                            X