Need help with engine sputter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with engine sputter

OK guys I need help to diagnoise an engine sputter. I have a 2000 model 225 Yamaha. Starts fine and runs great until the engine gets warm. After I run the boat for 10 - 15 Min. I can't get the engine past 3000 rpms without it sputtering. It's almost like there is water in the gas. I have changed the fuel filter twice with no success. My local mechanic can't seem to find the problem. Anyone have any ideas?
    1995 Mako 232, 1988 MAKO 171, New Bern, North Carolina

Have you checked your plugs? They might be dirty. Also..when a engine sputters underload...it usually indicates a carb issue...can't remember if it is too lean or too rich but somewhere on hear with more mechanical knowledge will know.

Comment

Ed,

Just put in new plugs and still have the problem. I have been thinking carb issues but not mechanically inclined enough to tinker with it without guidance.
      1995 Mako 232, 1988 MAKO 171, New Bern, North Carolina

Comment

Trying to diagnose an engine problem on line is not something that can be done correctly. But I know just a little about some engine problems you may be having. Not knowing any of the facts about your engine such as. Is your engine fuel injected? Or carburetor? Most large carbureted engines have no high-speed jet adjustment so only low speed adjustment can be done. If the low speed jet is screwed in to far the engine will cough and if the jet is to far open the engine will 4 cycle. But this doesn’t sound like your problem. It almost sounds like you have a coil brake down when the engine warms up. When the coil gets hot or warm the wiring in the coil will leak electrical charge. Thus this may make your engine loose 1 or more cylinder fire or may make the fire low voltage. All newer motors because of the higher compressions need large amounts of fire. Even if it shows fire on a test it may not be enough for the cylinder. Also I'm sure your motor is equiped with some type of computer in it's electronics and thats something I don't know about.[:-(]
        01\' Mako BayShark 2100[br]200 Optimax[br]Lakeland Fl.

Comment

compression check first! a-z just my 2-cents

1974 23 mako-------------{
          1974 23\' Mako [br]1980 25\' Mako [br]

Comment

Working...
          X