new to site 89' 221 w/yammy__225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to site 89' 221 w/yammy__225

i just bought a 1989 221, and have used these boards to see some of the great stuff done to these boats. i have used some of the ideas already. one i cannot understand is the water coming over the transom. what a terrible design. the splash boards are a great idea. i was woundering why no has suggested to remove the hinges from the transom well board(i think that is what you could call it), and make that slide up and down, which still allows the removal of the board, but will stop alot of the water from getting into the cockpit, and getting wet feet while fishing. does anyone have any reasons why not to do this? as i have just done that project. i mounted two 1"x1"x10" long pices of teak to the outer side of the well board, removed the hinges and this allows the well board to sit down onto the deck, and stills allows water to go under the board to drain. i have not been offshore since this project, so i dont know how well this will work. i do see the issue of the well filling up with water and seeping in under the well board before it has the time to drain back out the scuppers. does any one have any other potential problems??

just a good novice mako owner story to share.

after buying the boat the previous owner had broken off the drain hose from the live well to the transom, while he was trying to fix the bilge pump. so after i bought the boat i went to fill it up, by doing this the transom was not lower in the water that before, and with out the drain hose from the live well, the water was backing up from the overflow scupper into the live well and into the bilge. remember i had said there was a problem with the bilge pump, well it was off becuse the previous owner had removed the fuse due the float switch being bad and the pump running at all times. does anyone see where this is going? luckily i went to check on the boat later that same evening i had filled her up. only to find the transom very low in the water and water in the bilge about 12" deep. i put the fuse in and started pumping the water out, that goodness i went back to look at her again, as that was on ly the 2nd day i owned her. but the point of this is, that if i did not find the info of others haveing the same issues with the live well, i dont think i could have fixed it. i ended up doing a check valve in the overflow drain line, so it could only flow out, and fixed the drain hose to keep the live well water out of the bilge. the check valve idea i got from this site. so thank you for all the info on this site!!! keep it up, and i will keep reading. i also have a copy of the owners manual, that i would like to share. how can i do that?

the next projet is to reattach the console, and replce the wood under it with either new teak, or starbaord, hopefully the later. as some of the screws have been beaten out, i am sure this is from the weight of the t-top, as it is attached to the console not to the floor. has anyone had this issue? if so what could i search for ideas??

thanx for all the help!!
    89\' 221 [br]atlantic city, nj

The console pulling up from the floor is a common problem. With the T-Top attached to the console and the console srwed into the floor, that was bound to happen. I replaced my floor, glassed the console and leaning post to the floor, and my T-Top is attached to the console. No screws to deal with.

Welcome aboard.
    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Hammertime's boat has the gate that lift's out. Jimmy said it helped, but not totally. He say's with the new splash board's on the transom it still made a 100% improvement.

Comment

Welcome aboard and glad you were able to stop a huge oops from happening with that livewell. Amazing how much you learn about your boat in just the first few months of ownership. Hang in there and I'm sure you will be getting a refresher on the importance of the drain plug. I think every new boater goes through it at least once.

Like Rude, my new console and leaning post is glassed to the floor as well.
        Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Wart, you didn't give him the official "please put your location in your signiture, it helps us help you" welcome.

I guess that storms got you pretty rattled right now? Stay safe and good luck.... BTW
          Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Working...
          X